Bangor City In Europe
September 1962 onwards

















From 1962 to present day

1962-63 European Cup Winners Cup
Bangor City v AC Napoli

Bangor City 2 
 0 AC Napoli 
 Roy Matthews 
Ken Birch  

   If there was ever a legendary Bangor side this was it, managed by Tommy G Jones and Welsh Cup winners in 1962 after beating Wrexham 3-1 in the final.
   This was a David and Goliath encounter, a clash of cultures with Italian Seria A giants Napoli visiting Farrar Road, home of Cheshire League part timers Bangor City. It was a hopeless mis match and City stood no real chance...
   A noisy Bangor following and a typical heavy Farrar Road pitch unsettled the Italians and it came as no great surprise on the night when City took the lead. It happened two minutes before half time as Reg Hunter crossed and 19 year old Roy Matthews fired home with goalkeeper Walter Pontel unsighted. This was too much for hundreds of City supporters who rushed onto the pitch. Police had to repel the high spirited invader and the referee warned against any repeats.
   With a one goal lead at half time Bangor scorned chances to double their advantage whilst Napoli threatened on the break. Both Matthews and Ellis went close but not close enough. Then with just eight minutes left Eddie Brown was fouled in the box by Gianni Corelli and Ken Birch stepped up to convert the penalty awarded by experienced Dutch official  Johan Martens.
  Two nil and that is how it finished with the word giant killers scarcely better applied.
   What an introduction to European football!

Bangor City: Len Davies, Bill Souter, Iorys Griffiths, Ken Birch, Eddie Murphy, Brian Wilkinson, Roy Matthews, Brian Ellis,
Eddie Brown, Jimmy McCallister, Reg Hunter
AC Napoli:   Walter Pontel, Giovani Molino, Dolo Mistone, Pierluigi Ronzon, Rosario Rivellino, Achille Fraschini, Amos Mariani,
Rosa, Tomeazzi, Gianni Corelli, Juan Tachi
1st  leg Attendance:  12000 at Farrar Road
5th September 1962
AC Napoli 3 
 1 Bangor City 
Amos Mariani 
Pierluigi Ronzon
Giovanni Fanello 
  Jimmy McAllister

  The second leg duly arrived with Bangor now in the unfamiliar surrounds of Naples and set for a tough examination by the skilful Italians on a pitch better suited to their neat passing style. They were glad to be there though as their aeroplane had been forced to land in Switzerland after being struck by lightening!
  It seemed tough enough for Bangor when Italian international midfielder Amos Mariani put the home side ahead in the first half.
  It got worse when Pierluigi Ronzon - who had scored the Coppa Italia winner a few months earlier - made it 2-0 ten minutes into the second period. How could City respond with the scores now tied on aggregate?

   As usual the answer had something to do with Ken Birch whose long throw unsettled the Italians and Jimmy McAllister made it 2-1 on the night and 2-3 to Bangor on aggregate. As time ran out and City looked on the verge of a memorable victory but Italian 1960 Olympic Games striker Giovanni Fanello  netted to level the scores and force both teams to travel to Highbury (then the home of Arsenal) for a play off. Away goals did not count double then, or City would have gone through.
AC Napoli:    Walter Pontel, Giovani Molino, Dolo Mistone, Antonio Girado, Mauro Gatti, Amos Mariani, Giovanni Fanello,
Ronzon, Giovanni Fanello, Giorgio Rosa, Juan Tachi
Bangor City:  Len Davies, Bill Souter, Iorys Griffiths, Ken Birch, Eddie Murphy, Brian Wilkinson, Roy Matthews, Brian Ellis,
Eddie Brown, Jimmy McCallister, Reg Hunter
2nd  leg Attendance:  80,000 at San Paolo Stadium
26th September 1962
Bangor City 1 
 2 AC Napoli 
Jimmy McAllister 
  Giorgio Rosa 2 

   So all roads led to Highbury on an October evening. Twenty thousand turned up to see the final act of this unlikely battle. Some twenty thousand filed into the North London ground to see if the impossible could happen.
   Giant k
illing hopes faded on 37 minutes when Giorgio Rosa fired home off the crossbar. But City were not ready to give up and with Len Davies (pictured right) in acrobatic form held the Italians to a single goal lead at the interval.
   On seventy minutes Bangor levelled the scores when Brian Ellis headed down and once more Scottish striker Jimmy McAllister beat Pontel.
   But with just five minutes to go Giorgio Rosa found the net once more and this time Napoli held on to their lead and City were forced to accept defeat. Not before writing their name clearly  in football history.
Bangor City: Len Davies, Bill Souter, Iorys Griffiths, Ken Birch, Eddie Murphy, Brian Wilkinson, Roy Matthews, Brian Ellis,
Eddie Brown, Jimmy McCallister, Reg Hunter
AC Napoli:   Walter Pontel, Giovani Molino, Taralo, Gianni Corelli, Rosario Rivellino, Achille Fraschini, Amos Mariani, Giorgio Rosa,
Giovanni Fanello, Pierluigi Ronzon, Juan Tachi
Play Off Attendance:  21895 at Highbury London 
 9th October 1962


1985-86 European Cup Winners Cup
Bangor City v Fredrikstad

Fredrikstad 1 
 1 Bangor City
 Hans Deunk
  Everton Williams
  This tie brought together Norwegian Cup winners Fredrikstad - who had been relegated that season - and Bangor City who had been relegated a year earlier whislt reaching Wembley, but qualified for Europe after losing to Shrewsbury in The Welsh Cup Final.
  In what was to turn into the season of nine goalkeepers, the reassuring sight of Dai Davies, once of Everton and Wales was key to this success. In on efirst half spell the Norwegian side forced five corners on the trot but Davies stayed calm, marshalled his defence, and City survived. Chances came and went as Viv Williams and strike partner Everton Williams both had effort saved. (right, Dai Davies saves at the feet of Kristoffersen)
  Chester based Everton Williams (left, with Jerry Banks and Mark Palios to his left and right) finally put Bangor head on the hour in Norway as his close range header beat Olsen all ends up. But with a dramatic win in prospect combatative defender Hans Deunk levelled the scores in the closing minutes. However City had what was to prove the decisive away goal to take back to Farrar Road a fortnight later.
Fredrikstad:  Jan Erik Olsen, Lars Sorlie, Per-Egil Ahlsen, Hans Deunk, Espen Engebretson, Morten Thomassen, Terje Jensen,
Vidar Hansen, Steiner Mathiesen, Atle Kristoffersen, Age Wiggo Hansen
Bangor City: Dai Davies, Mark Cartwright, Phil Lunn, Garry Evans, Jerry Banks, Les Armor, Bruce Urquhart, Mark Palios,
Viv Williams (Reggie McGuire), Everton Williams, Neville Powell 
1st  leg Attendance:  2611
18th September 1985
Bangor City 0 
 0 Frederikstad
   A crowd of some 4000 filled Farrar Road and saw a brave defensive display - Dai Davies and Jerry Banks to the fore - keep out the increasingly desperate Norwegians.
  City managed chances of their own with Bruce Urquhart and Everton Williams testing Olsen but most of Farrar Road held its breath ten minutes from time when Stiener Mathiesen latched onto a cross to send a low shot on target but sighed with relief as the ball struck the upright and cannoned to safety.
  Amongst the visitors side was defender Per Egil Ahlsen who went on to win 54 caps for Norway.
  The game was dominated by a strong wind and City negotiated a tricky opening period and then benifitted from the elements in the second period.
   Dutch referee Erik Mulder finally blew for time and Bangor celebrated long and loud with two thousand ecstatic blues supporters charging on the pitch. And yes I was one of them...
Bangor City:  Dai Davies, Mark Cartwright, Phil Lunn, Garry Evans, Jerry Banks, Les Armor, Bruce Urquhart, Mark Palios,
Viv Williams, Everton Williams, Neville Powell (Reggie McGuire)
Frederikstad: Jan Erik Olsen, Lars Sorlie, Per-Egil Ahlsen, Hans Deunk, Terje Jensen, Morten Thomassen,
Terge Espen Engebretson, Vidar Hansen, Atle Kristoffersen, Steiner Mathiesen, Jan Rafn
2nd  leg Attendance:  4000 at Farrar Road 
2nd October 1985


1985-86 European Cup Winners Cup
Bangor City v Atletico Madrid

Bangor City 0 
 2 Atletico Madrid
    Jorge Da Silva
  Quique Setien

  The success against Frederikstad brought Bangor into opposition with Atletico Madrid. City fullback Phil Lunn commented it was like something out of Walt Disney and he was about right.
  First leg at Farrar Road only went ahead after the club spent thousands of pounds erecting caged fencing around the ground. It was to blight Farrar Road for years. Madrid were managed by Luis Aragones, better known for his time in charge of Barcelona and then Spain.  It was a team was littered with Spanish and South American internationals.
  Madrid took the lead on six minutes when 28 times capped Uraguay international Jorge Da Silva converted a chance from infront of goal and the game was all but over midway through the first half as Quique Setien - capped three times by Spain - doubled the scores.
  Bangor were on the rack for long periods of the game with fullbacks Mark Cartwright and Phil Lunn both outstanding on the night,
Bangor City:   Dai Davies, Mark Cartwright, Phil Lunn, Garry Evans, Jerry Banks, Les Armor, Bruce Urquhart (Paul Whelan),
Mark Palios, Ian McMullen (Viv Williams) Everton Williams, Neville Powell 
Atletico Madrid: Ubaldo Fillol (Meijas), Julio Prieto, Tomas, Juan Carlos Arteche, Miguel Ruiz, Quique Setien, Luis Cabrera
(Rubio) Quique Ramos, Jorge Da Silva, Roberto Marina, Jesus Landaburu
1st  leg Attendance:  5181 at Farrar Road 
 24th October 1985
Atletico Madrid 1 
 0 Bangor City
 Jesus Landabaru  
  Bangor went to Madrid to try and win and threw everything at Atletico in the opening minutes.
  For one City player, Wrexham based rightback Mark "Wilf" Cartwright he was given the option of missing the game or losing his job. He duly played in Madrid!
  But it was the home side who went close as Dai Davies was at full stretch to keep out Da Silva's long range effort before, on 37 minutes, writing his name in Bangor folklore with a penalty save from the same player with a low stop. 
  Unfortunately for Bangor these two brave saves were thwarted by a 27th minute strike from Spanish international striker
Jesus Landabaru
struck a fierce freekick to make the aggregate score 3-0.

  City's best chances fell to midfielders Les Armor and Mark Palios but neither could find the back of the net.
  Maltese referee Assordpardi blew for time and the generous Spanish crowd stood to acclaim the proud Welsh part timers.
  A popular headline after this match concerned the imminent transfer of blues striker Viv Williams to Madrid, but sadly this never came about.
  This match was played on a Wednesday night, on the Saturday it was back to NPL action - at Goole.
Atletico Madrid: Angel Mejias, Tomas (Garcio Balbino), Juan Carlos Arteche, Sergio Elias, Clemente Villaverde, Ortega Minguez,
Jesus Landaburu, Roberto Marina, Quique Setien (Rubio), Luis Cabrera, Jorge Da Silva
Bangor City: Dai Davies, Mark Cartwright, Phil Lunn, Garry Evans, Jerry Banks, Bruce Urquhart (Paul Whelan), Mark Palios,
Les Armor, Neville Powell, Everton Williams, Viv Williams (Reggie McGuire)
2nd  leg Attendance:  18000 at Vicente Calderon
6th November 1985


1994-95  UEFA Cup
Bangor City v IA Akranes

Bangor City 1 
 2 IA Akranes
Frank Mottram 
  Kari Reynesson
  Siggi Jonsson
  After a decade of waiting Bangor were back in European competion.
  Memories of Madrid and Napoli stirre
d but the visitors were less vaunted, Icelandic champions IA Akranes.
  Less celebrated perhaps but the visitors quickly established a grip on proceedings with former Arsenal star Siggi Jonsson pulling the strings in midfield. A depleted Bangor side - this was the era of restricting non Welsh players - simply could not cope.
Jonsson was involved in the build up to the opening goal three minutes before half time which saw Palmi Haraldson cross from the left which picked out right winger Kari Reynesson who sent a clean strike beyond Nigel Adkins. The half time score stood at one nil to the visitors.
  Two minutes after the restart the influential Siggi Jonsson side footed home from close range after City failed to clear a corner and the game looked all but over.  City though rallied and when Frank Mottram headed home Steve Humphreys cross on 53 mintes the home crowd had something to cheer. But the Icelanders stood firm and left Bangor with a mountain to climb in the second leg.
Bangor City: Nigel Adkins, Kevin Jones, Mark Rutter, Harry Wiggins, Phil Middleton, Steve Humphries, Dafydd Evans,
          Lee Noble, Frank Mottram, Marc Lloyd Williams (Gavin McLellan) Dave Barnett
IA Akranes: Thordur Thordarsson, Olafur Adolfsson, Zoran Miljhovic, Thoedor Hervasson, Stur Haraldsson, Palmi Haraldson,
Siggi Jonsson, Stefan Thordarrson, Haraldur Ingolfsson, Kari Reynesson (Olaf Thordarsson), Bibercic (Petursson)
1st leg Attendance:  3426 at Farrar Road 
9th August 1994
IA Akranes 2
 0 Bangor City
Haraldur Ingolfsson 
Olaf Thodarson 

  So a fortnight later, still handicapped by the home quota rule City travelled north to Iceland.
  (The restriction was only six(?) non Welsh players could play for a Welsh club in Europe)
  Any hopes the blues harboured of an unlikely win disappeared on eight minutes when twenty times capped Icelandic international Haraldur Ingolfsson put the home side ahead for a 3-1 aggregate lead.
  On 21 minutes it got worse when midfielder Olaf Thordarson - who won 72 caps for Iceland - doubled the score and that was effectively that. Both sides played out the remaining seventy minutes with City unable to force even a consolation goal, Siggi Jonsson again pulling the strings and Bangor's brave part timers unable to get close enough to stop him.
  The whistle blew on a 4-1 aggregate defeat and a lesson learnt by a hard working City team.
IA Akranes: Thordur Thordarsson, Palmi Haraldsson (Thorsarsson) Stur Haraldsson, Siggy Jonsson, Thoedor Hervarsson,
Miljkovic, Alex Hognason, Siggi Gislason, Mihaijlo Bibercic (Petursson)
Olaf Thordarson, Haraldur Ingolfsson.
Bangor City: Nigel Adkins, Kevin Jones, Phil Middleton, Dafydd Evans, Mark Rutter, Steve Humphries (C Hughes) 
Wiggins, Dave Barnett, Frank Mottram, Marc Lloyd Williams (Nigel Barry), Lee Noble 
2nd leg Attendance:  1200 at Skipaskagi
 24th August 1994


1995-96  UEFA Cup
Bangor City v Widzew Lodz

Bangor City 0 
 4 Widzew Lodz 
    Ryszard Czerwiec 2
  Marek Koniarek 2

  Boasting half a dozen Polish internationals Lodz were always likely to be too strong for Bangor, and that proved to the reality. Although City saw playmaker Kevin Langley hit the woodwork and Alun Evans force a good save from goalkeeper 20 times capped Polish keeper Andrzej Wosniak.
  But two first half goals from Ryszard Czerwiec put this tie beyond Bangor as the slick, passing Poles asked many questions of City with their stylish first time play. Czerwiec was to win 26 international caps for Poland.

  The first goal came on 25 minutes with the second arriving three minutes before half time.
  Hopes of a second half revival lasted just six minutes after the interval when Marek Koniarek made it three nil and he completed his brace in the final minute of play as a worn out Bangor were beaten once more.
Bangor City: Mark Deegan, Kevin Jones, Jimmy Carberry (Arwel Jones), Kevin Langley, Mark Rutter, Steve Humphreys
Dewi Parry), Harry Wiggins, Dave Barnett, Jonathon Parry (Nigel Barry) Frank Mottram, Bob Colville, Evans
Widzew Lodz: Andrzej Wosniak, Miroslaw Szymkowiak, Tomasz Lapinski, Daneil Bogusz, Marek Bajor (Marcin Bogus),
Miaszkiewicz, Zbigniew Wyciszkiewicz (
Dariusz Podolski), Piotr Szarpak, Marek Koniarek, Ryszard Czerwiec,
Andriy Mikhalchuk), Rafal Siadcazka
1st Leg Attendance:  1623 at Farrar Road
22nd August 1995
Widzew Lodz 1 
 0 Bangor City
 Bogdan Pikuta 
  The Polish side took up where they had left off at Farrar Road with some slick passing. They quickly carved a succession of chances which, as luck would have it, smashed against the post or sped wide. But Bangor were intent on restoring some pride with centre backs Mark Rutter and Harry Wiggins prominent in a rearguard action.
  With time running out and honour restored the draw which seemed "won" was cruelly snatched away when, on 84 minutes, well travelled centre forward Bodgan Pikuta latched onto a loose ball in the box to beat Anglesey lad Michael Innes who had enjoyed a fine evening.
   Lodz remain in the memory of City fans as one of the finer footballing sides encountered in European competition.
Bangor City: Michael Innes, Kevin Jones, Arwel Jones, Kevin Langley, Mark Rutter, Dewi Parry, Harry Wiggins, Dave Barnett,
                      Frank Mottram, Jonathon Parry (Alun Evans), Lee Noble
Widzew Lodz: Tomas Muchinski, Miroslaw  Szymkowiak, Tomasz  Lapinski, (Marcin Bogus), Daneil Bogusz, Marek  Bajor,
Pawel Miaszkiewicz,
Zbigniew  Wyciszkiewicz (Dariusz Podolski), Piotr Szarpak (Bogdan Pikuta), Marek Koniarek,
Czerwiec (Michalczuk),
Ryszard Siadczka
2nd  leg Attendance:  4371 at Lodz Stadium
 2nd September 1995


1998-99 Cup Winners Cup
Bangor City v FC Haka

Bangor City 0 
 2 Haka
    Jari Niemi 40
  Janne Salli 59

   The crowd at Farrar Road was limited by health and safety restrictions but those who did get in wondered how Johny King's new look team might perform against the Finnish full timers who featured Notts Forest loan striker Marlon Harewood.
   The visitors took the lead five minutes before the interval when Jari Niemi - who was to win 24 caps for Finland - beat blues keeper Lee Williams. The half time score was one nil.
   A second goal was always on the cards and duly arrived some twenty minutes after the restart when Janne Salli completed the scoring and effectively ended the tie. The following season Salli was transferred to Barnsley for 200 000 and went to win nine caps for Finland.
   When the final whistle blew it also signalled the end of European football at Farrar Road.
Bangor City: Lee Williams, Gareth Williams, Michael Fox, Mark Allen, Mike McLoughlin, Noel Horner, Darren Hilditch,
                      Jamie Taylor (Paul Langley 83), Sammy Ayorinde, John Garnell, Danny McGoona (Neil Wenham 53) 
FC Haka: Andras Vilnrotter, Ari Heikinnen, Lasse Karjalainen, Janne Salli, Joune Rasanen, Janne Makela, Oleg Ivanov
Jarkko Okkonen 76), Marlon Harewood (Tommi Torkelli 82), Valeriy Popovitch, Harri Ylonen, Jari Niemi (Jukka Ruhanen 71) 
1st leg Attendance:  1429 at Farrar Road
13th August 1998
Haka 1 
 0 Bangor City
Jukka Ruhanen 28  

  The second leg at Tehtaans a fortnight later was always going to be tough, and although manager King rang the changes, the outcome
was similar to the game at Farrar Road.
  Things looked bleak for Bangor when left winger Jukka Ruhanen opened the scoring on the half hour to make the aggregate score 3-0. But thanks to some resolute defending from Paul Mooney and Mark Allen the scoreline stayed at that and City left the Tehtaans Kentta stadium with pride intact.
   Not so long after Johny King left the club and was replaced by player manager Lee Williams.
FC Haka: Andras Vilnrotter, Ari Heikinnen (Jarkko Okkonen 78), Lasse Karjalainen, Janne Salli, Joune Rasanen, Janne Makela,
Ivanov, Jukka Ruhanen (Tommi Torkelli 66), Valeriy Popovitch, Harri Ylonen, Jari Niemi (Jukka Rantala 85) 
Bangor City: Lee Williams, Paul Mooney (Phil Gibney 90), Michael Fox, Mark Allen,  Noel Horner, Darren Hilditch, Archie Lloyd,
                      Jamie Taylor, Sammy Ayorinde, John Garnell, Paul Langley
2nd leg Attendance:  2431 at Tehtaans Kentta Stadium
 28th August 1998


2000-01  UEFA Cup
Bangor City v Halmstads 

Bangor City 0 
 7 Halmstads
     Robert Andersson
   Michael Svennson
   Torbjorn Arvidsson
   Stefan Selakovic 2
   Bjorn Carlsson
   Henrik Bertilsson
   City were outplayed by the impressive Swedes despite competing well for the first 25 minutes.  During that time a long through ball from Steve Bird eluded Paul Roberts for what could have been a fairy tale lead for Bangor.   
  Unfortunately the fairly tale quickly became a nightmare as first Robert Andersson and then
Michael Svennson swept Halmstads 2-0 ahead.  To make matters worse - and irreparable - Paul Roberts was sent off on the half hour for a clumsy tackle.
  Defender Torbjorn Arvidsson made it 3-0 just before half time.
Swedish International Stefan Selakovic struck twice - one just after the break  - as the Swedes found time and space against the flagging ten men.  His second heralded a run of three goals in the final ten minutes as Bjorn Carlsson andthe free scoring Henrik Bertilsson completed the rout.
  For City Scott Williams held his nerve and composure whilst Andy Mulliner made some fine saves along with the occasional blunder. Manager Meirion Appleton looked a little shell shocked at the end.
Bangor City: Andy Mulliner, Phil Johnson, Mike Foster (Carl Owen 82), Jamie Jardine, Scott Williams, Robbie Williams,
Rowlands, Jamie Hughes (Nathan Comley Excel 78), Paul Roberts, Lewis Coady (Emrys Williams 67), Steve Bird
Halmstads: Haakan Svensson, Mikael Gustavsson, Torbjorn Arvidsson (Petter Hansson 72), Tommy Jonsson, Fredrik Gustafson, Fredrik Andersson, Peter Lennartsson (Mikael Nilsson), Stefan Selakovic, Bjorn Carlsson, Robert Andersson (Henrik Bertilsson 46), Michael Svensson
1st leg Attendance:  761 at Wrexham Racecourse
 10th August 2000
Halmstads 4 
  Bangor City 0
 Torbjorn Arvidsson 2 
Henrik Bertilsson 
Stefan Selakovic  
  City were again comfortably beaten by the slick Swedes but this time restored some pride both with a much improved performance and from the presence a noisy travelling contingent.
  Again defender Torbjorn Arvidsson put the hosts ahead in the fifth minute - to calm Swedish nerves - and doubled the advantage some twenty minutes later.
  On 35 minutes Henirk Bertilsson made the score 3-0 which it remained until half time. Stefan Selakovic struck late in the second period to complete the 4-0 scoreline, although local lad Carl Owen went close for City in a much improved performance.
  Russian referee Ivanov blew for time and a weary blues side trudged off.
Halmstads: Johansson, Torbjorn Arvidsson, Fredrik Gustafson (Bjorn Carlsson 68), Vennberg, Henrik Bertilsson, Mikael Nilsson (Jensen 53), Petter Hansson, Jeffrey Aubynn Obeng (Mikael Gustavsson 63), Bjorklund, Klaesson, Stefan Selakovic
Bangor City: Andy Mulliner, Phil Johnson, Mike Foster, Emrys Williams, Scott Williams, Robbie Williams (Lewis Coady 51),
Rowlands, Jamie Hughes, Carl Owen (Nathan Comley Excel 78), Sean Hazelden (Steve Bird 78), Matthew Cross
2nd leg Attendance:   646 at Orjans Vall
  24th August 2000


2002-03  UEFA Cup
Bangor City v Sartid Smederevo

Bangor City 1 
 0 Sartid Smederevo
 Paul Roberts 
  A truly epic perfomance by a well drilled and disciplined Bangor side which were a credit to the manager and the pride of the thousand or so noisy supporters.
  This was a deserved win built on firm defence and opportunist attack, although the last ten minutes seemed to last an hour!  City were never overwhelmed or daunted and stuck to their task with evident purpose.
  The opening salvo was fired by lone striker Paul Roberts whose 25 effort was saved by Zilic, the Sartid keeper who was very lucky to last the ninety minutes.  City No 1 Phil Priestley then saved well from Zilic before Huw Griffiths headed narrowly wide from a corner in the tenth minute.
  The second period opened with some more sparring, Paul Roberts shielding and distributing the ball intelligently, supported by the occasional burst from Kenny Burgess or Simon Davies.  On the hour one such move saw a rightwing cross just elude Owain Jones as he slid it at the left post.  A dangerous position for a freekick conceded on the edge of the box saw Spanic fire into the wall to huge relief from the blues followers.
  On 69 minutes City struck. The composed Clayton Blackmore found right winger Kenny Burgess, who crossed for Paul Roberts to fire home from 20 yards!  If the dark haired striker had enjoyed his winner in the 2000 Welsh Cup Final he certainly did this one!  The Racecourse resounded to noisy acclaim - some of us were speechless.
  Inevitably Sartid were stung into action but conspired to create precious little and scarcely trouble Phil Priestley other than with hopeful crosses.  The closest call came in the 81st minute when Branezac fired wide from six yards.  With four minutes left the exhausted Paul Roberts was replaced by Lee Hunt to deafening applause, in the closing moments local flier Darren Jones came on for young Owain Jones whose football education continued with another impressive display. 
Bangor City: Phil Priestley, Owain Jones (Darren Jones 89), Alan Goodall, Eifion Jones, Aled Rowlands, Huw Griffiths,
Williams (Steve Cooper 24), Clayton Blackmore, Paul Roberts (Lee Hunt 86), Simon Davies, Kenny Burgess,
Stephen Owen, Graham Brett, Chris Short, Warren Gibbs.
Sartid Smederevo: Dragan Zilic, Sasa Damjanovic, Decan Kekezovic (Dukovic 65), Slavoljub Kizic, Dragan Spasic, Marko Socanac,
Bogdanovic, Boris Vaskovic, Nenad Mirolsavljevic,
Zoran Kulic (Demir Romanovic 80) Milorad Zecevic
Sasa Branezac 60)    
Dejan Rankovic, Nebojsa Savic, Dragan Paunovic, Oliver Djokic
1st leg Attendance:  967 at Wrexham Racecourse
 15th August 2002
Sartid Smederevo 2
 0 Bangor City
Milorad Zecevic 
Nenad Mirosavljevic 
  City were beaten by a goal in each half but battled to the end and might have grabbed that all important away goal on a number of occasions.
   The hosts dominated the opening period and at times lay siege to the blues goal, but found Phil Priestley in imperious form.  He held shots, gathered crosses and generally marshalled his troops impressively at all times.
   On the 14 minute mark Sartid finally went ahead when Zoran Kulic raced down the left and crossed for Milorad Zecevic to head home at the near post.  City might have wilted under the pressure but with central defenders Eifion Jones and Huw Griffiths standing up bravely, a second goal was not forthcoming.
   As half time drew nearer City started to make inroads into the Sartid half.  Experienced duo Simon Davies and Clayton Blackmore started to make their presence felt in midfield, which they had manned gamefully alongside the hard working Steve Cooper.  On 37 minutes a pivotal moment,  involving The Racecourse matchwinner Paul Roberts.  Aled Rowlands found the striker alone upfield, he turned a barged his way past Spasic, but as he steamed into the six yard area the ball bobbled away and was gathered by the obnoxious Zilic.  Moments later City won a corner and this time Zilic was yellow carded for another blatant assault on City's frontman.
  After the break Sartid came out strongly and in one attack Mirosavljevic hit the woodwork, but it was not until the 58th minute that they finally snatched the all important second goal.  The industrious Nenad Mirosavljevic played a one two on the edge of the box, avoided a super challenge from Eifion Jones on the right, before curling the ball passed Phil Priestley from ten yards.
   Minutes later Paul Roberts was felled by an elbow off Damjanovic who was eventually red carded for his sins with half an hour remaining.  This increased the mental pressure on the home side who readily resorted to off the ball malice as a means of retaining the advantage.  In the closing quater Lee Hunt replaced Graham Brett and Bangor lad Darren Jones came on for the exhausted Paul Roberts.
   The clearest opening fell to Kenny Burgess who ran in from the right to meet a left wing Aled Rowlands cross but unfortunately he hooked his effort narrowly wide.
   So beaten, hugely disappointed, but in all honesty City had done their best and had every reason to feel proud of their mammoth effort.

Sartid Smederevo: Dragan Zilic, Dukovic, Dragan Radoslavic, Sasa Damjanovic, Dragan Spasic, Marko Socanac,
Kekezovic, Boris Vaskovic, Nenad Mirolsavljevic, Zoran Kulic (Nebojsa Savic 83) Milorad Zecevic 
               SUBS:  Dejan Rankovic, Oliver Djovic, Sasa Kokic, Dragan Paunovic,
Slavoljub Kizic
Bangor City: Phil Priestley, Graham Brett (Lee Hunt 78), Alan Goodall, Eifion Jones, Aled Rowlands, Huw Griffiths,
                      Clayton Blackmore, Paul Roberts (Darren Jones 73), Steve Cooper, Simon Davies, Kenny Burgess, 
         SUBS:  Chris Short, Peter Davenport, Steve Owen
2nd leg Attendance:    at  Smederevo Stadium
  22nd August 2002


2003-04  Inter Toto
Bangor City v Gloria Bistrita

Bangor City 0 
 1 Gloria Bistrita
    Vasile Jula
   City slid to a single goal defeat to Gloria which means progess in the Inter Toto cup will be much more difficult with the second leg next weekend.
   Manager Peter Davenport gave debuts in midfield to Peter Hoy, on the left wing to Gary Roberts and upfront to Gary Reah who played alone in the 4-5-1 formation.  Of the three it was former Denbigh Town flyier Roberts who made the immediate impression with a combination of pace, good control and awkward crosses which bred some incertainty in the visitors defence.
   The game switched from end to end with Aled Rowlands and newcomer Gary Roberts causing problems for the tall Gloria keeper before City forged two opening midway through the half which would have changed the course of the game.  A forceful run by Ricky Evans - using Gary Roberts as a decoy - culminated in an intelligent ball into the box which Gary Reah connected with but could not convert.  Then the big midfielder again created an opening with a driven cross but the debutant striker just failed to make contact.
  As the half drew to a close left back Aled Rowlands sent over a brace of cleanly struck crosses but to no avail before Gary Roberts showed his defensive skills by conceding and then clearing a corner on the defensive left.  Finally credit to Peter Hoy for a brave block in his penalty area from a powerful strike from 12 yards out.
    Bangor might have taken the lead moments after the interval as a foul on right winger Kenny Burgess led to cross which the Peter Hoy headed wide.  The pacey wideman then crossed dangerously from the right Gloria scrambled the ball away before his 15 yard strike seemed destined for the bottom corner before a defender got in the way. 
   Wit 60 mins gone Phil Priestley again excelled with a one handed push over the bar before Chris Short stepped in to clear the ensuing danger.  Moments later Gary Reah left the field to be replaced by Lee Hunt who had been hospitalised ony days earlier.  Running crossfield Ricky Evans sent a left footed shot just over only to be replaced on 67 mins by Gareth Williams. 
   On 69 mins the only goal as a ball to the right was pulled back by Sandu Negrean for Vasile Jula to side foot home from close range.  City responded with Gary Roberts' diving header wide, then a Lee Hunt header which hit the crossbar.  But Phil Priestley was again called into action to blast clear as the defence let a ball run unchallenged too deep, next Gary Roberts made way for substitute Ross Jefferies.
   Phil Priestley made yet another crucial stop in the closing minutes as Gloria moved the ball at pace.  In stoppage time Ross Jefferies was yellow carded before two such infringements from xx the second for kicking the ball away, meant he also saw red.  However after five minutes of added time the Norwegian refereee blew time and City's followers trooped away, knowing the second leg will be a difficult task.

Bangor City:  Phil Priestley, Alan Goodall, Eifion Jones, Aled Rowlands, Chris Short,  Peter Hoy, Ricky Evans (Gareth Williams)
Jones, Gary Reah (Lee Hunt) Gary Roberts
(Ross Jefferies) Kenny Burgess
         Subs:   Lee Hunt, , Huw Griffiths, Steve Owen, Peter Davenport
Gloria Bristrita: Costel Campaenu, Alin Mintuean, Alin Rus, Sandu Negrean (Prodan) Vasile Popa, Vasile Jula, Arbanas,
Valentin Velcea, Kosten,
Cristian Coroian, Ciprian Vasilache
Lucean Sanmartean, Dinu Sanmartean, V Oprian, Daniel Sabou, Danut

1st leg Attendance:  1032 at Belle Vue, Rhyl
 21st June 2003
 Gloria Bistrita 5 
 2 Bangor City
Adrian Anca 
Lucean Sanmartean 2  
Sergio Mintuean  
Ciprian Bucuriaia  

  Ricky Evans 2

   For a precious eight minutes it seemed as if the miracle could happen when Ricky Evans levelled the aggregate scores with a wonder goal.  But then...
   City took the lead on 16 minutes when Clayton Blackmore rolled a free kick to Ricky Evans whose cannonball 30 yard strike went in off the post with the 'keeper beaten all ends up.  City fans rejoiced as thoughts of a trip to Italy and dreams of Roberto Baggio sprang to life.
   Unhappily Adrian Anca equalised for Gloria on 24 minutes with a header that deflected of Chris Short, and with the scores level City saw their chance start to fade.  To be fair the hosts then dominated proceedings but City worked hard in the afternoon sun and deserved to go in level at the interval with Phil Priestley once again impressing.
  A telling moment at the start of the second period when Peter Hoy was "butted" but the referee must have unaware of the incident. Minutes later Clayton Blackmore limped off to be replaced by Kenny Burgess.
   The second half belonged to the home side who stretched their lead through Romanian International Lucian Sanmartean and then Sergio Mintuean.  Inbetween City sent on Gareth Williams for Peter Hoy.  City defender Alan Goodall was then mysteriously sent off by the referee before Gloria went further ahead with
Lucean Sanmartean netting his second and midfielder Ciprian Bucuroaia completing the scoring for the home side.  Striker Gary Reah then replaced left winger Gary Roberts.
   On a brighter note Ross Jefferies won a penalty in the final minute which Ricky Evans converted in his customary emphatic manner to become the first Bangor player to score twice in a European tie.  However before the kick could be taken the referee dismissed Ross Jefferies and the defender who handled on the line, and one other for good measure!

GloriaBristrita:  Costel Cimpeanu, Alin Mintuean, Alin Rus, Vasile Popa, Cristian Coroian, Adrian Anca, Alin Minteuan,
                            Lucean Sanmartean, Ciprian Vasilache, Sergiu Costin, Vasile Jula.
                 Subs: Anghel,
Sandu Negrean, Ciprian Bucuroaia, Radu, Velcea, Daniel Sabou, Arbanas.
Bangor City:  Phil Priestley, Alan Goodall, Eifion Jones, Aled Rowlands, Chris Short, Peter Hoy (Gareth Williams), Ricky Evans,
Owain Jones, Ross Jefferies, Gary Roberts (
Gary Reah), Clayton Blackmore (Kenny Burgess
         Subs:  Huw Griffiths, Steve Owen, Peter Davenport
2nd leg Attendance:     1300 at
  28th June 2003

2005-06  Inter Toto
Bangor City v FC Dinaburg
Bangor City 1 
 2 FC Dinaburg
 Maris Eletermanis (og)  
    Jurihs Sokolovs
   Sergejs Valuskins
   Bangor lost 2-1 to their Latvian Inter Toto Cup opponents and would seem to face an uphill struggle in the second leg next weekend.
    The opening could hardly have been worse when Dennis Sokolskis headed home from corner inside five minutes. The chance was fashioned after new goalkeeper Andy Ralph saved smartly from a Valuskins shot
.  The resulting corner was crossed to the far post for the unmarked striker to head home.  With both sides unsure at the back chances fell to both sets of forwards.  
   Bangor saw a lofted header from Owain Jones fly over, minutes later Kevin Scott's deep freekick from the left was headed back across goal by Paul O'Neill but Carl Lamb could only nod his effort into the hands of
Eltermanis.  On the quarter hour Paul Roberts was yellow carded for a foul according to referee Svein Oddvar Moen.  The impressive Valuskins then fied over from fifteen yards before City went close to equalising ten minutes before the interval.  Goalkeeper Eltermanis flapped at a high ball, under pressure from Owain Jones.  The ball dropped invitingly for Paul Roberts but his shot crashed wide to the dismay of the Bangor horde behind the goal.
   Eltermanis did enough in the visitors goal to enourage the home side.  His wild lunge from a set piece led to a goal claimed on the stroke of half time by Paul Roberts to the delight of the Bangor crowd.  However, TV pictures later confirmed that it was Maris Eltermanis who punched the ball into his own net,  UEFA have duly awarded Eltermanis the goal.
    Within minutes the half time whistle sounded with Bangor supporters buoyed by the late equaliser.
   After the interval Bangor started brightly and deserved a lead which never came.  Kevin Scott sent over a low cross which caused problems, Paul Roberts ran on goal but saw his shot held, then debutant Chris McGinn shot from the right and drew a fortunate deflection from the visitors defence and the ball ran back to the goalkeeper.
    On the hour Bangor forced a series of corners, the mutually erratic referee Svein Oddvar Moen yellow carded Kev Scott and the visitors No 7.  On 66 minutes it was 2-1 as the visitors outstanding player No 16 Sergie Valuskins found time and space on the right to beat Andy Ralph with a low angled drive despite the best effort of a diving Kev Scott.  
    With 72 mins gone Gareth Williams was replaced by left winger Les Davies who quickly made an impression with his powerful running and physical presence.  Carl Lamb ran clear with substitute Davies for company but shot over when a pass to his right might have been more productive.  Minutes later Paul Roberts ran on goal, passed to young Carl Lamb but he delayed and the chance was gone. With ten minutes left Chris McGinn was replaced by Tony Gray.
     Then in the closing stages Kev Scott fizzed a freekick from the right across goal, then tested Eltermanis with a long range effort which needed turning over for a corner.  There were promising first performances from Lee Atherton alongside Paul O'Neill at the back and some nice touches from Chris McGinn, whilst Andy Ralph displayed his renowned shot stopping skills.

Bangor City:  Andy Ralph, Clayton Blackmore, Kevin Scott, Lee Atherton, Paul O'Neill, Chris Priest, Chris McGinn (Tony Gray),
Jones, Paul Roberts, Carl Lamb, Gareth Williams
(Les Davies)
            Subs:  Darren Owen, Chris Short, Eifion Jones, Ben Ogilvy, Paul Friel, , Peter Davenport
Dinaburg:  Maris Eletermanis, Dennis Sokolskis, Andrejs Zuromskis, Segejs Khimich, Jurihs Sokolovs, Edgars Burlakovs,
Shmykov, Pavels Kolcovs, Aleksandra Kriklivijs, Zizlevs, Sergejs Valuskins
Vadmiss Fjodorovs, Dmitrijs Timacheve, Rits Kraujklis, Vladimir Volkovs, Sergejs Digolovs
1st leg Attendance:  832 at Belle Vue, Rhyl
 19th June  2005
 FC Dinaburg 2 
 0 Bangor City
   Dennis Sokolskis  
Lee Atherton (og)  

    Behind after 13 minutes to a goal from Dennis Sokolskis, City finally lost 2-0 on the night at exited the Inter Toto Cup 4-1 on aggregate.
    Bangor boss Peter Davenport recalled Les Davies on the left wing whilst Tony Gray slotted into the right wing berth in place of Chris McGinn.  At centreback Eifion Jones stepped in with Lee Atherton replacing Clayton Blackmore at rightback.
    The hosts though started strongly and won a corner through Zizlevs which forced a timely interception from right back Lee Atherton.  However the early pressure was likely to pay and on 13 minutes
Dennis Sokolskis got forward from defence to open the scoring with a powerful header from another Dinaburg corner.
   The hosts were on top for much of the first period, with Andy Ralph saving well from Valuskins before a shot from Zizlevs was deflected off target.  The Bangor defence was well marshalled by Eifion Jones and Paul O'Neill with the former Gretna defender catching the eye.  City's only real chance of the first half came when Lee Atherton watched his swirling cross land was held by Fjodorovs.  However Dinaburg nearly doubled their advantage when Kriklivijs chip just cleared the crossbar and landed on the roof of Andy Ralph's net.
   Before the break there was a yellow card for Paul Roberts.
   Bangor knew they had to improve after the break to get back into the game, and for a while this looked possible. Midfielder Owain Jones hit the post with a shot from outside the box.  Dinaburg replaced Kolcovs with Pucinskis. Then Tony Gray raced through on goal but chipped over when well placed.
   But on 56 minutes it was curtains for City as
Lee Atherton had the misfortune of turning the ball into his own net. Minutes later centrehalf Eifion Jones was shown the yellow card by Armenian referee Ararat Tachagharyan.
   By now the home side were home and hosed, but City manager Peter Davenport tried one last roll of the dice with a double substitution on 62mins.  Carl Lamb and Les Davies making way for Gareth Williams and Paul Friel.  With the game meandering to an inevitable conclusion Dinaburg replaced Valuskins and Chmykov with Volkovs and Timachev, whilst City gave a European debut to 16 year old Ben Ogilvy who came on for Chris Priest.  With two minutes remaining referee yellow carded Owain Jones.
Dinaburg:  Vadmiss Fjodorovs, Dennis Sokolskis, Segejs Khimich, Andrejs Zuromskis, Edgars Burlakovs, Pavels Kolcovs
Chmykov, Jurihs Sokolovs, Zizlevs, Sergejs Valuskins
Maris Eletermanis, Dmitrijs Timacheve, Rits Kraujklis, Jevge Simonovs, , Halirbognov, Vladimir Volkovs
Bangor City:  Andy Ralph, Lee Atherton, Kevin Scott, Eifion Jones, Paul O'Neill, Chris Priest (Ben Ogilvy) Tony Gray, Owain Jones,
Paul Roberts, Carl Lamb (
Gareth Williams,), Les Davies (Paul Friel)
           Subs:   Darren Owen, Chris Short,  Mike Lundstram,  Peter Davenport
2nd leg Attendance:     640 at Dugavils
  26th June 2005

2008-09  UEFA Cup
Bangor City v Midjylland
Bangor City 1 
 6 Midjylland
 Les Davies 

    Kim Christensen 3
    Mikkel Thygesen
    Winston Reid
   For forty five minutes City fans had every right to dream as the two sides were only separated by one goal at half time, but a second half salvo of four goals saw the Danish visitors roar to a 6-1 win.
   Boasting Danish and Romanian Internationals in their line up Midtjylland took an early grip on proceedings and City were forced to defend with Michael Johnston and debutant Jamie Brewerton in the thick of things.  But it was goalkeeper Paul Smith who caught the eye with a string of fine saves, from Boring and then Thygesen.  City's first moment came when Afriyie sliced a clearance behind his own goal.
  The visitors were ahead following a break away as Florescu found Mikkel Thygesen who netted confidently on 19 minutes.  Roared on by a noisy support at The Racecourse City won a free kick on the left.  Marc Limbert crossed and the half clearance was hammered home by Les Davies to the delight of the blues fans, some five minutes after the opening strike.
  There were penalty claims from home supporters when Ashley Stott appeared to be fouled in the Danish box by American International Danny Califf, but the young striker battled on a forced a good save from Heinze.   Smith was again called upon to deny goalscorer Thygesen but could do nothing on the half hour to keep out a drive from the edge of the box from New Zealander Winston Reid after a corner from Florescu.
   If City had been the hunt at half time, it did not last long.  What turned out to be a big moment arrived on 48 mins when Fagerberg made way for substitute Kim Christensen.  Five minutes later the replacement struck in double quick time.  The first came on 53 mins when Forescu and Boring combined to allow Kim Christensen to score easily and then four minutes later Kim Christensen was on hand once again to convert an opening created by Thysegen.
   City sent on left winger Sion Edwards for Kark Noon but on 63 minutes Kim Christensen struck again to complete a hatrick which was the bedrock of a by now emphatic victory for the hugely impressive Danish side.  The impressive replacement was with Barnsley during the 2007-08 season having previously played for FC Twente and Hamburg.
   On 68 minutes manager Nev Powell made a double change with Peter Hoy and Joe Fowler coming on for Dave Swanick and Mike Walsh.
   With some twenty minutes remaining the scoring was complete as Mikkel Thygesen scored his second goal of the evening to complete a 6-1 first leg win for the visitors.

   There was no disgrace in what was evidently a heavy defeat; Midtjylland were clearly a big step above the opposition City meet in domestic league or cup competion.  In particular the Romanian International playmaker Florescu is the type of players WP sides can only look upon with envy.
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Dave Swanick (68 Peter Hoy), Martin Beattie, Michael Johnston, Jamie Brewerton, Christian Seargeant,
Limbert, Michael Walsh (
68 Joe Fowler) Les Davies, Ashley Stott, Karl Noon (Sion Edwards)
            Subs:  Ben Heald,  Ben Ogilvy, Mel McGinness, Caio Iwan
Midjylland:  Lasse Heinz, Jonas Boring, Kolja Afriye, Petter Olsen, George Florescu, Ken Fagerberg (48 Kim Christensen,)
Califf, Chris Poulsen, Mikkel Thyugesen, Winston Reid, Adi Salami
Subs:  Martin Raska,  Dennis Flinta, Kristian Ipsa, Claus Madsen, Danny Olsen, Filip Marcic
1st leg Attendance:  750 at The Racecourse, Wrexham
 17th July  2008
Midjylland 4 
 0 Bangor City
   Jude Nworuh 2 
Christian Sivaebaek
Baba Colins   

  City travelled to the SAS Arena with pride to play for and were confronted by a team sheet which showed several changes to the side which had been so dominant in Wrexham.  Was this a stronger or weaker line up was the question amongst the blues followers.
   Amongst those drafted in were 20 times capped Slovakian defender Maros Klimpl.
   Either way they soon found themselves trailing on the night when nineteen year old Nigerian striker
Jude Nworuh scored with a header following a third minute corner.
   However this did not deter the sixty or so travelling Bangor supporters who rallied behind the team and made their presence felt amongst the 4000 strong Danish crowd.
   City's goalscorer from the first leg Les Davies forced a decent save from home 'keeper Lasse Heinze before left winger Sion Edwards ran on goal but failed to get sufficient power in his shot on goal.
   Ten minutes before the interval the Danes doubled their lead on the night when Jude Nworuh scored his second goal of the evening.
  At half time leading goalscorer Ashley Stott replaced Sion Edwards.
Ten minutes after the restart the hopes faded further when hosts made it 3-0 on the night through Danish Under 20 cap Christian Sivedaek.  
   Midway through the second period Nev Powell sent on Joe Fowler and Peter Hoy for Marc Limbert and midfield partner Mike Walsh who had run themselves out.
FC Midtjylland added to this with around fifteen minutes remaining when the powerfully built Nigerian teenager Babajide Collins completed the scoring.
   Midfielder Christian Seargeant went closest for City in the second half but the goalkeeper held his low drive and City were eventually beaten 4-0 and by an emphatic 10-1 aggregate scoreline.

Midjylland:  Martin Raska, Filip Marcic, Maros Klimpl, Kristian Ipsa, Jesper Juelsgaard, Christian Sivabaek, Yakubu Akilu,
Flinta Peter Suruseth, Jude Nworuh, Baba Collins
Subs: Lasse Heinz, Ibrahim Gnanou, Sekou Oliseh, Mikkel Thygesen, Adi Salami
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Dave Swanick, Martin Beattie, Michael Johnston, Jamie Brewerton, Christian Seargeant,
Limbert (
Joe Fowler) Michael Walsh (Peter Hoy) Les Davies, Karl Noon, Sion Edwards (Ashley Stott)
            Subs:  Ben Heald, Alan Morgan
2nd leg Attendance:     4060 at SAS Arena
  24th July 2008

2009-10 Europa League
Honka Espoo v Bangor City
Honka Espoo 2 
 0 Bangor City
 Joel Peruvuo 
Rasmus Schuller 

  Goals fifteen minutes into the match and from time saw Bangor lose two nil on their Europa League debut against Honka Espoo of Finland.
  Bangor boss Nev Powell gave competitive debuts to defenders Chris Roberts and Dave Morley whilst resigned pair Ashey Stott and Mark Smyth also started.  But it was Honka who stole the advantage on the quarter hour although Paul Smith had already been busy as he denied Gambia striker Demba Savage.  But Smith's save from Jaakko Lepola fell to Joel Peruvuo who scored from close range.
  The home side were on top but City did go close to an equaliser when Chris Sharp robbed Ville Koskimaa and raced on goal, only to be denied by a last ditch tackle from the defender. Bangor mounted some pressure on the home goal with crosses into the box but the Honka defence stood firm and the whistle blew.
  Still a solitary goal down at the interval was the not the worse case scenario and manager Powell would doubtless have guidance to offer at the interval. 
At the interval Finnish Under 21 International Vasara replaced Lepola.
  With a quarter of an hour left to play Honka netted the all important second goal. Former Fredikstad strikerd Vuorinen found space on the right and his inviting cross was converted by Rasmus Schuller to the delight of the 1500 home supporters.
  The Bangor defence stood firm with debutant Dave Morley bringing his experience to bear alongside Jamie Brewerton. Leftback Chris Roberts also enjoyed a solid first outing for City.
  Manager Powell made a couple of late changes in a bid to notch a vital away goal.  On came Martin Beattie for Marc Limbert and Sion Edwards for Mark Smyth, but to no avail. In the closing moments Honka sent on Finland Under 21 International Otaru for the dangerous Savage who has been capped at full International level by Ghana.
Honka Espoo:  Janne Henrikson, Sampo Koskinen, Henri Aalto, Hermanni Vuorinen, Ville Koskimaa, Aleks Kokko (Jami Puustinen)
Savage (
Nic Otaru) Rami Hakampaa, Joel Peruvuo, Jaakko Lepola (Jussi Vasara) Rasmus Schuller
Tuomas Peltonen, Roope Heilala, Jarkko Vartto, Tapoio Heikkila
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Dave Morley, Chris Roberts, Marc Limbert (Martin Beattie)
Killackey,  Mark Smyth (
Sion Edwards) Ashley Stott, Chris Sharp
Subs:  Kyle Williams, Clive Williams, John Owen
1st leg Attendance:  1668 at Honka
 16th July  2009
Bangor City 0
 1 Honka Espoo
  Jami Puustinen
  Bangor bowed out of the inaugural season of the Europa League with a 3-0 aggregate defeat against the Finnish side Honka Espoo.
  Neither side was much changed from the first leg as the visitors looked to build on their 2-0 first leg advantage. But it was Bangor who might have opened the scoring when captain Marc Limbert found Chris Sharp in the box but he fired over.  Then Vuorinen fired on target for the visitors but the ever reliable Pau Smith was on hand.
  On the quarter hour City went closer still to pulling a goal back as Marc Limbert's corner was flapped by goalkeeper Henriksson to Dave Morley whose shot was cleared off the line by the experienced Sampo Koskinen. Limbert was in the thick of the battle with a last ditch tackle on Puustinen and then a yellow card for a determined challenge on Savage.
  Honka enjoyed a period of possession but failed to trouble Paul Smith, following which Ashley Stott headed wide from another telling cross from Marc Limbert.  With Bangor chances spurned the visitors struck.  On 39 minutes former Manchester United youngster
Jami Puustinen ran on goal to beat Smith who had little or no chance.
   Honka pressed, Bangor resisted but when half time blew - with the hosts having rallied - the aggregate scoreline at 3-1 left the blues with a mountain to climb.
  On 55 minutes City again threatened when Chris Sharp turned Koskimaa but saw his goalbound effort blocked.
  Just before the hour mark left winger Sion Edwards replaced a tired Marc Limbert and immediately sped past three defenders but his cross was hacked clear. Midfield dynamo Kieran Killackey fired goalwards but Ashley Stott just failed to get a touch. A minute later Les Davies came on for Chris Sharp With twenty minutes remaining the alert Ashley Stott intercepted a wayward pass and ran on goal but was denied by Henriksson who dived bravely at his feet. The ball span towards goal but was cleared by the retreating defenders.
  However the Finns were still dangerous and Vasara's run on the right ended with Puustinen firing over with Paul Smith making himself as big as possible.  Peter Hoy deflected Perovuo's shot for a corner then Finland Under 21 International Kokko came off the bench but fired wide.
  With five minutes left on the clock Aalto's cross was gloriously miskicked by Puustinen but the visitors had the last laugh when the referee blew for time and sealed their passage to the next round.
  The noisy Bangor support cheered the blues who had battled bravely against the odds.
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts, Michael Johnston, Jamie Brewerton (Clive Williams) Dave Morley,
Limbert (
Sion Edwards) Ashley Stott, Kieran Killackey, Chris Sharp (Les Davies) Mark Smyth
Subs:  Kyle Williams, Martin Beattie, John Owen, Caio Iwan
Honka Espoo:  Janne Henrikson, Sampo Koskinen (Haanu Haarala) Ville Koskimaa, Jussi Vasara, Henri Aalto, Hermanni Vuorinen
Aleks Kokko)  Demba Savage (Nic Otaru) Joel Peruvuo, Rami Hakampaa, Jami Puustinen, Rasmus Schuller
Tapoio Heikkila,  Jaakko Lepola, Tuomas Peltonen, Roope Heilala, , ,
2nd leg Attendance:     4060 at SAS Arena
  23rd July 2009

2010-11 Europa League
Honka Espoo v Bangor City
Honka Espoo 1 
 1 Bangor City
 Demba Savage 
    Chris Jones
   A year ago - all but a day - Bangor slipped to a 2-0 defeat in the corresponding game in the Europa League. Roll forward to July 2010 and the cast list - the starting elevens - featured half a dozen familiar faces on either side. But thanks to a battling team performance and a newcomer in the Bangor ranks the end result was very different.
   The opening stages though belonged to Honka who attacked from the off and might have gone ahead had Puustinen or Koskimaa hit the target. On ten minutes Schuller went close with a free kick and then Koskimaa again went close but this time his shot was blocked.
   It was half an hour into the game before Bangor could force an opening when midfielder Craig Garside went close and moments later a first corner involved a yellow card for Henri Aalto.
   But it all seemed to have gone sour for City when Macedonian ref Meckarowski awarded a penalty to Honka. Up stepped Markus Paatelainen whose side footer was saved by Paul Smith who dived to his right. What a moment and yet another penalty stop for the unflappable Smith.
   Honka continued to press with both Puustinen and Schuller going close, Smith in the thick of things once again, but Bangor stood firm. But two minutes before the interval the Fins went ahead as Koskinen's cross from the left was headed home emphatically by Demba Savage who ran off his marker.
  Following the restart City pressed and Craig Garside saw his goalbound effort blocked before substitute Sion Edwards replaced Jamie Brewerton who had been laid low with flu.
   On 58 minutes Les Davies controlled the ball on half way before sliding a straight pass in on goal. 
  With a defender for company summer signing Chris Jones raced through to beat Peltonen with a calm finish from the edge of the box to the delight of the Bangor contingent. An equaliser, an away goal and something to hold on to.

   Moments later Jones went close to a second but Peltonen resisted and on 64 minutes the Nefyn striker went into the referees book for a foul on Schuller. Recent signing Alan Bull made his Bangor debut on the hour as he came on for his cousin - right winger Eddie Jebb. Next Jussi Vasara replaced Paatelainen.
   Vasara went close immediately - Smith saved - then Demba Savage fired wide as City held on. With 71 minutes played Rasimus replaced Vuorinen , then Schuller shot wide, likewise Koskinen.
   In the closing ten minutes Clive Williams replaced a tiring Les Davies but Honka pushed for a winner through Savage who was kept out by Smith.  Rasimus and Koskimaa had chances, Dave Morley was yellow carded, but as the ninety minutes gave way to added time it mattered not.
   Finally referee Meckarowski blew for time and Bangor players, officials and some 150 supporters celebrated a famous result on foreign soil, one which raises genuine hopes of progress in next Thursday second leg at The Racecourse.
Honka Espoo:  Tuomas Peltonen, Sampo Koskinen, Henri Aalto (Nic Otaru) Hermanni Vuorinen (Konsta Rasimus) Markus Paatelainen
Jussi Vasara) Jami Puustinen, Ville Koskimaa, Demba Savage, Tapoio Heikkila, Jaakko Lepola,  Rasmus Schuller
Janne Henrikson, Roope Heilala, John Weckstrom, Tim Vayrynen
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts,  Dave Morley, Jamie Brewerton (Sion Edwards) Michael Johnston,
Jebb (
Alan Bull) Craig Garside, Les Davies (Clive Williams) Nicky Ward, Chris Jones
Subs:  Andy Mulliner, Matty Hurdman, Marc Limbert
1st leg Attendance:  1271 at Honka
 15th July  2010
Bangor City 2
 1 Honka Espoo
Dave Morley   
Chris Jones   

  Sampo Koskinen
  What a win! What a fantastic battling performance by Bangor, against the odds and the Finnish fulltimers.
   The records will show that late goals from Dave Morley and Chris Jones snatched a win when defeat loomed large, but this was a tremendous team performance - with the bench and the thousand or so in the stand also playing a huge part.
   After both sides wasted early free kicks it was the dangerous Otaru who threatened with a mazey run on the right which ended in a goalbound shot that Jamie Brewerton bravely blocked.  Next Vuorinen forced a save from Paul Smith, the Finns forced a couple of corners and Schuller went close twice in quick succession.
  On the 20 minute mark the who fears of the blue horde came true. Cutting in from the right  Sampo Koskinen teed the ball up outside the box and unleashed a fierce strike past a stunned Paul Smith.  Honka had the lead and an away goal. Puustinen and goalscorer Koskinen went close to adding to the advantage as Bangor looked to Michael Johnston and the industrious Jamie Brewerton to stand firm.
  As half time beckoned Eddie Jebb cut in from the right and forced a save from Peltonen but Honka responded with a header from Koskimaa which Smith saved well. However Bangor ended the half brightly with Sion Edwards and Les Davies exerting some pressure - and exposing a more brittle side to the visitors defence.  When Koskimaa fouled Davies 25 yards out it was Edwards' low drive which so nearly crept inside the righthand upright.
  But it drifted wide and at half time City trailed one nil, two one on aggregate, but with all to play for.
  No changes at half time, but with Bangor continuing to push Chris Jones forward alongside Les Davies, and cracks starting to appear in the Honka defence.  But it was the visitors who might have doubled their advantage when Schuller's inswinging corner was headed off his line by Michael Johnston. Otaru and Savage went close for Honka as they pressed for a decisive second goal.
   On 62 minutes Alan Bull replaced Eddie Jebb, but lined up alongside Les Davies with Chris Jones moving to the right wing.  Honka won a corner delivered by Schuller but Vuorinen missed the target. Bangor got into their stride and in a goalmouth melee Chris Jones has a shot blocked and hacked away.
   Chris Roberts was fouled on the left by Otaru, took the freekick and Les Davies fired on target but Peltonen pulled off a good low save. Honka made a substitution as Vasara came on for Paatelainen. Bangor nearly slipped two behind as Michael Johnston lost possession in his own half his a timely recovery saved the day.
   With fifteen minutes left on the clock Peter Hoy sent over a trademark long throw which fell to Sion Edwards but he fired over from the left.  Honka countered and Paul Smith did well to keep out substitute Vasara.
   Nicky Ward was shown the yellow card for a challenge on Savage with ten minutes remaining.  Bangor began to push forward more and Honka again looked unsure.  Chris Jones and Sion Edwards went close for Bangor before on 85 minutes Jones won and Edwards delivered a corner which Dave Morley headed home from close range! Literally all square in terms of goals on the night and over the two legs.
   Otaru and Savage both went close for Honka before the fourth official indicated three minutes of added time.  But it was Bangor who stunned the visitors when Peter Hoy's long throw allowed Chris Jones to nip in to score from close range after Nicky Ward has shanked his fifteen yard effort.  Some amazing scenes followed but Bangor still had two minutes to navigate and the Finns were keen to kick off! In the brief time remaining substitute Alan Bull went close to adding his name to the role of honour, but the final whstle was welcomed by all those in blue - and a good number of well meaning neutrals!
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts,  Dave Morley, Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Eddie Jebb (62 Alan Bull)
Les Davies, Nicky Ward, Chris Jones, Sion Edwards
Subs:  Andy Mulliner, Clive Williams, Matty Hurdman, Marc Limbert, John Owen
Honka Espoo:  Tuomas Peltonen, Sampo Koskinen, Roope Heilala, Hermanni Vuorinen, Markus Paatelainen (Jussi Vasara)
Puustinen, Ville Koskimaa, Demba Savage, Nic Otaru, Jaakko Lepola,  Rasmus Schuller
Janne Henrikson, Henir Aalto, Konsta Rasimus, John Weckstrom, Tapoio Heikila, Tim Vayrynen
2nd leg Attendance:     954 (Wrexham Racecourse)
  22nd July 2010


2010-11 Europa League
Maritimo v Bangor City
Maritimo 8 
 2 Bangor City
Tcho 2 
Danilo Dias 2 
Baba Diawara 2 

   Nicky Ward
   Eddie Jebb

   Bangor were well beaten in Portugal by a Madeira side who scored five goals in a red hot seven minute spell midway through the second half.
   Their case was not helped by a second yellow red card dismissal of Jamie Brewerton on the stroke of half time with score at 2-0.
   Manager Nev Powell made a number of changes to freshen the side, bringing in young Clive Williams and striker Alan Bull with Eddie Jebb and Nicky Ward on the bench.  The home side were quickly into their stride and the lively Cherrad provoked a foul which led to a yellow card for Jamie Brewerton on seven minutes. 
   City were struggling to get into the game when Cherrad and Baba Diawara went close but went close themselves on the half hour when Sion Edwards' freekick went narrowly wide. But on 33 minutes Maritimo had the lead when a foul on Diawara led to a freekick which Tcho curled into the net with Paul Smith wrongfooted.
   Ten minutes before the interval Peter Hoy was also yellow carded before on 38 minutes Danilo Dias doubled the advantage after a brilliant end to end move and left City trailing two  nil.  In the closing minutes Cherrad again fired wide before, in added time, City captain Jamie Brewerton was shown a second yellow - and red - card and Bangor were down to ten men.  Half time City trailed two nil.
   Before the restart Bangor sent on Nicky Ward for Les Davies as manager Nev Powell sought to reorganise.
   Smith had denied him once after the interval when on 51 minutes Baba Diawara scored from twelve yards to put the home side 3-0 ahead.
   On the hour Sion Edwards again went close for Bangor before Marquinos and Diawara threatened for Maritimo. On 64 minutes substitutions for both sides with Kanu replacing Marquinos and Eddie Jebb for Clive Williams. The menacing Diawara continued to threaten and forced a save from Paul Smith who was into action again moments later to deny Tcho.
   A further change on 70 minutes as Miranda came on for Cherrad and three minutes later Bangor were back in business as Nicky Ward hammered home from 30 yards after Eddie Jebb's corner had been half cleared. However, this served to do little more than stir the home side into action and a flurry of five goals in quick succession followed, with Danilo Dias (75), Baba Diawara (78) with a back post header, Tcho (79) and then Kanu (80) stretching the lead to 7-1.
   Bangor sent on Matty Hurdman for Chris Jones with eight minutes remaining, and youngster was promptly shown the yellow card for a foul on Sousa. Fidelis came on for double goalscorer Tcho and into added time Fidelis made it 8-1 for Maritimo to cap yet another blistering attack from deep.
   However Bangor had the last word as Alan Bull set up Eddie Jebb to score three minutes into added time to make the final scoreline 8-2 and a near impossible task for City in the second leg at Wrexham next week.
Maritimo:  Marcelo, Alonso, Robson, Ricardo Estevez, Marquinos, Roberto Sousa, Baba Diawara, Abde Charrad, Tcho,
Dias, Joao Guilherme.
        Subs:  Pecanha, Kanu, Olim, Briguel,
Rafael Miranda, Luciano Amarai, Fidelis
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts,  Dave Morley, Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Chris Jones
82 Matthew Hurdman) Alan Bull, Les Davies (46 Nicky Ward) Clive Williams (66 Eddie Jebb) Sion Edwards
Subs:  Andy Mulliner, Marc Limbert
1st leg Attendance:  2000 at Maritimo
 15th July  2010
Bangor City 1
 2 Maritimo
Alan Bull  

  The European adventure ended for Bangor with heads held high after an end to end encounter with Portugese visitors Maritimo.
  Bangor even had the audacity - the courage perhaps - to take a ninth minute lead but in the end the full timers won comfortably and might have done so by a much bigger margin.
  Maruinho forced the first of several great saves from Paul Smith inside five minutes as Maritimo pressed, but on nine minutes Alan Bull set City fans dancing with a powerful header from Sion Edwards' deep cross.
  The dangerous Baba Diawara went close for Maritimo before Sion Edwards sent a long range freekick off target. Bangor managed a period of pressure with a long throw from Peter Hoy earning a corner which Marcelo claimed. Mid way through the half Michael Johnston found Alan Bull with a long clearance who teed up Nicky Ward but his dipping volley flew just over from 25 yards.
  Maritimo responded from a Tcho freekick which Paul Smith did well to turn away for a corner. Danilo twice and then Robson went close for the Portugese, and ten minutes from time Danilo hit the post and ballooned the follow up into the Sainsbury Stand. By now the game was very stretched with the pacey visitors testing the blues defensive resolve, and Dave Morley and Michael Johnston to the fore.
  Adilson thought he had scored with a jinking run in from the left but hard working Chris Roberts had covered and blocked what seemed a certain goal. Bangor gathered themselves to end the half with a couple of promising freekicks, one held by Marcelo and the next curled across by Sion Edwards from the left which evaded Alan Bull and Eddie Jebb with the goal gaping.
   Briguel was lucky to escape a caution for a heavy challenge on the impressive Edwards on the half way line before referee Fabian of Hungary blew for time as goalkeeper Marcelo tried in vain to get the even tempered official to take action against Peter Hoy for the faintest of challenges in the Portugese penalty area.
  No sooner had the second half got underway than Sion Edwards was shown the yellow card for a trip and, seconds later, the visitors drew level as Adilson ran to the right before slotting a low shot beyond Paul Smith.
   On 51 minutes Craig Garside was also cautioned for a heavy challenge which upset the visitors, then after Paul Smith again saved bravely from Adilson, the pacey Marquinhos raced clear to score from the left. Smith then saved well from the impressive Robson before the first of several substitutions saw Olim replace Danilo for Maritimo then on 66 mins a double change for City as Les Davies and Matty Hurdman came on for Eddie Jebb and Craig Garside, warm applause all round.
   Hurdman was quickly into the action with a well timed defensive interception as Maritimo looked set for a third.
   Paul Smith was back in the thick of things with a close range save from Briguel on the right before Diawara fired off target from ten yards.  Another change followed as Fidelis replaced goalscorer Adilson on 71 minutes, then on 77 Clive Williams came on for Sion Edwards who enjoyed a fine ovation from the Bangor support.
   The visitors seemed to go from strength to strength as the blues tired, and the last ten minutes was the scene of several close shaves. Fidelis and Duventru - who had just replaced Marquinho - went close whilst Clive Williams ran in to cut out a square pass along the six yard line.  Paul Smith again standing firm.
  Bangor won a freekick 25 yards out which Matty Hurdman fired into the wall but Chris Jones lifted the rebound well over.  Diawara ran clear through but hit the post from close range before Duventru also went close as the pace and movement of the Portugese - and Brazlians - got harder to contain.  The final whistle brought welcome respite and Bangor fans stood to applaud the efforts of their side and acknowledge the tremendous effort made - home and away.
Bangor City:  Paul Smith, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts,  Dave Morley,  Michael Johnston, Craig Garside (66 Matty Hurdman)
Jebb (
66 Les Davies, Nicky Ward, Chris Jones, Alan Bull, Sion Edwards (77 Clive Williams)
            Subs:  Andy Mulliner, Marc Limbert, John Owen
Maritimo:  Marcelo, Robson, Marquinos (80 Dylan Duventru) Baba Diawara, Adilson (72 Fidelis) Briguel, Tcho, Rafael Miranda, 
Amarai, Danilo Dias (
63 Luis Olim), Joao Guilherme.
        Subs: Pecanha, Alonso,
Ricardo Estevez, Roberto Sousa
2nd leg Attendance:    556  (Wrexham Racecourse)
  22nd July 2010

2011-12 Champions League
Bangor City v HJK Helsinki
Bangor City 0 
 3 HJK Helsinki

   Berat Sadik 2
   Sebastian Sarso
   Bangor all but crashed out of Europe at the first hurdle against stiff Finnish opposition in the form of HJK Helsinjki. That the visitors fielded six full internationals - despite the absence of Jari Litamen - said much about the size of the task.
   In fairness City started with purpose - Ward's corner was fired on target by Peter Hoy - and defended calmly with Michael Johnston setting a fine example. But on fifteen minutes it all went wrong as Gambian international Dawda Bah lofted the ball over the blues defence for Teemu Pukki to round Lee Idzi and square the ball for Berat Sadik to tap home. Home fans - those of us who were level - screamed for offiside but the linesman kept his flag down and a goal was given.
   Midway through the half HJK won a couple of corners after Sumusalo's free kick was defelcted behind. These culminated in the towering Valteri Moren who headed wide from in front of goal. The big defender certainly needed closer marking from set pieces.
   With fifteen minutes to go Alan Bull laid off to the right for Nicky Ward but his low drive was bungled away by Wallen. But within a minute Pukki ran across goal from the left only to send his low shot the wrong side of Lee Idzi's post.
   The tall athletic figure of Dawda Bah was central to all that the Finns did, allied to the movement of Pukki upfront. And it was this combination that unsettled Bangor intermitently.
   Half chances in the the form of long range efforts, flew off target, firstly from Chris Roberts and then Craig Garside. City won and largely wasted a late corner but the single goal separated the sides as referee Genov blew for half time. Perhaps the wastefulness from set pieces would be the theme of Nev Powell's half time team talk.
   Early in the second half a free kick some twenty five yards out saw Nicky ward shoot on goal, but even with a slight deflection it failed to test Wallen. Then Chris jones latched onto a well flighted pass from Michael Johnston but was felled by left back Kansikas who was promptly booked. Free kick - again - and a well worked move which ended in shouts for a penalty as Craig Garside went down in the box following a challenge from behind. Nothing doing.
   But again with things looking bright, more trouble for Bangor. A long throw from Peter Hoy was cleared and within fifteen seconds Berat Sadik found time and space on the left to lift the ball over Lee Idzi to double the lead.
   On the hour a long throw from Hoy found Les Davies but the blues talisman was being pinned down by Lindstrom. No penalty. Then another deep cross but Jamie Brewerton headed over. City maintained some pressure but failed to find a clear chance.
   With 63 mins goone Mannstrom made way for another Finland international Sebastian Sorsa before double goalscorer Sadik was carded for dissent. A freekick from the left but again the Finns attacked the ball and snuffed out the danger. Four minutes later a triple substitution for Bangor with Mark Smyth, Sion Edwards and debutant Kyle Wilson coming on for Nicky Ward, Alan Bull and Chris Jones.
   With twenty minutes left goalscorer Sadik left the field with former FC Haka defender Cheyne Fowler taking his place. Bangor refused to give up and Les Davies' turn and shot yielded another - poorly delivered - corner which ended in a freekick when Sion Edwards' return cross was blocked illegally. Freekick on the left, a half chance, but again the quick thinking Finns lashed away.
   Ten minutes to go and Kyle Wilson's clever hooked cross was cleared for another corner. A great cross from Sion Edwards and goalbound header from Dave Morley but too close to Wallen. With eight minutes left the impressive Pukki made way for U21 International Varno Parrika but it was Bangor who went close from six yards but failed to keep his shot down.
   With time running out there was salt to be rubbed in Bangor's wound as substitute Sebastian Sarso netted from the edge of the box with a snap shot beyohd the despairing Idzi. The dozen or so Finnish followers celebrated and City fans admitted defeat.
   So a 3-0 defeat despite eleven corners and nine attempts - albeit only three on target. With just four attempts on target HJK scored four.
Bangor City:  Lee Idzi, Peter Hoy, Chris Roberts,  Dave Morley, Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Chris Jones (68 Kyle Wilson),
Garside, Les Davies, Nicky Ward (
68 Mark Smyth) Alan Bull (68 Sion Edwards)
Subs:  Paul Smith,  Eddie Jebb, Mike Walsh, , Clive Williams
HJK Helskinki: Ville Wallen, Tuomas Kansikas, Valteri Moren, Alex Ring, Sebastian Mannstrom (63 Sebastian Sorsa)
Sadik (
71 Cheyne Fowler) Mattias Lindstrom, Dawda Bah, Aki Riihilati, Teemu Pukki (93 Varno Parikka)
Sako Sahigren, , Akseli Pelvas, , Erfan Zeneli, , Kastriot Kastrati
1st leg Attendance:  1189 at Rhyl
 12th July  2011
HJK Helsinki 10
 0 Bangor City
Erfan Zennelli 2 
Teemu Pukki 2 
Kastriot Kastrati 2 
Alex Ring    
Berat Sadik    
Varno Parikka   

   Bangor made a solitary but offensive change compared to the first leg line up with the introduction of Kyle Wilson in place of midfielder Craig Garside. If the aim was to take the game to the home side it was an admirable one.
   But from the offset it was blues goalkeeper Lee Idzi who was in the thick of the action as HJK set about his goal with Riihilati twice going close in the opening ten minutes and Sumusalo firing wide. Idzi saved from Moren and Ring as pressure mounted but Bangor negotiated the opening twenty minutes safely.
   The game had a similar pattern to the one at Belle Vue with Bangor attacks breaking down on the edge of the box and Dwada Bah looking to release Pukki on the counter. On the half hour Peter Hoy did well to deny the dangerous Pukki and two minutes later Chris Jones went close after Nicky Ward delivered a freekick following a foul on him by Lindstrom. On 33 mins Michael Johnston was shown the yellow card for a foul on the pesky Pukki who had run into him.
   But as blues fans thought they might reach half time without incurring any damage Alex Ring scored with a calm finish from twelve yards. Rafinha and Pukki went close, Lee Idzi again to the fore, but on 44 minutes Berat Sadik doubled the lead. Bah long ball in behind the City defence left Idzi unable to clear without risking handling outside his box and the tall striker headed home from eighteen yards.
   Disappointing but not disasterous for the Welsh Premier champions as half time blew on a 2-0 deficit.
   Eight second half goals followed as Bangor were blown away in a nightmare second period.
   Kosovan winger Erfan Zeneli made it 3-0 two minutes after the restart with a well placed shot from the edge of the box and Pukki might have made things worse moments later. But on 50 mins City won a rare freekick on the left sent in by Nicky Ward but Peter Hoy headed wide. Two minutes later a foul on Sadik yielded a freekick from which Brazlian midfielder Rafinha made it four after Idzi had saved a low shot from Riihilati.
   By now the visitors defence were struggling to cope but as Bangor managed to threaten Alan Bull forced a save from Wallen. However on 54 mins it was 5-0 as
Erfan Zeneli netted his second with another low finish to the corner. Peter Hoy's deep cross fell to Les Davies but he dragged his shot wide. Two minutes later a double substitution saw Peter Hoy replaced by Clive Williams and Mike Walsh come on for Chris Jones. On 59 mins a double change also for HJK as Fowler and Kastrati came on for Riihilati and Sadik.
   But three goals in as many minutes made a mockery of any changes as Dwada Bah ran through midfield for Teemu Pukki to slide home on 64, then substitute Kastrati netted a rebound and no sooner the restart than Teemu Pukki raced clear on the  right on 67 to make the score 8-0 on the night and ten nil overall. Ironically it was Bangor's willingness to attack and create half chances which left the gaps for the pacey Finns to exploit.
  Four minutes later it was 9-0 as Parikka netted with another low shot from the right which prompted a final substitution with Craig Garside coming on for a weary Les Davies - and promptly receiving a yellow card for a foul on Ring. Bangor responded but the ever wiling Alan Bull fired wide from the left.  There was one final blow to bear as
Kastrati finished the scoring with a bullet header to make it ten nil on the night to seal a thirteen nil aggregate victory for the Finns who now go on to meet Dynamo Zagreb. 
HJK Helskinki:  Ville Wallen, Valteri Moren, Alex Ring, Rafinha, Berat Sadik (59 Kastriot Kastrati) Mattias Lindstrom,
Bah, Aki Riihilati (59 Cheyne Fowler) Teemu Pukki (69 Varno Parikka) Mikko Sumusalo
Sako Sahigren, Tuomas Kansikas, Sebastian Mannstrom, Akseli Pelvas,
Bangor City:  Lee Idzi, Peter Hoy (64 Clive Williams), Chris Roberts,  Dave Morley, Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston,
Jones (
64Mike Walsh) Kyle Wilson, Les Davies (72 Craig Garside, Nicky Ward, Alan Bull,
Subs:  Paul Smith,  Eddie Jebb, Mark Smyth, Sion Edwards
2nd leg Attendance:    5900  (Sonera Stadium)
  19th July 2010

2012-13 Europa League
Bangor City v Zimbru Chisinau
Bangor City 0 
 0 Zimbru Chisinau

  The first ever European match at Nantporth and the return of international club football to Bangor after a fourteen year absence.
  And the clean sheet which seemed to important before the game was achieved but many City fans left with the feeling that the chance to win the home leg had been there.
  This was an even match with City's 4-5-1 formation helping keep the clean sheet but at times isolating Les Davies upfront. Zimbru looked big and strong if a touch slow, with Oleg Molla and Radu Catan the chief threat.
   Les Davies lashed over for Bangor before Radu Catan went close for the Moldovans as an open game took shape. Before half time Chris Simm won a freekick on the left which Damien Allen curled goalwards - and held his head as the ball bounced on the crossbar and away to safety.
  City sent Chris Jones on down the right and he went close twice whilst
Iavorschi threatened for Zimbru before lenient Cypriot referee Nicolaides blew for time.
  By way of expressing his displeasure at the result the Zimbru supremo sacked manager Bejenari after the game!

Bangor City:  Lee Idzi, Liam Brownhill, Chris Roberts,  Craig Garside, Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston, Mark Smyth
Damien Allen, Les Davies, Chris Simm (Chris Jones) Sion Edwards (Alan Bull)
Subs:  Kyle Clancy, Peter Hoy, Clive Williams, John Owen, 
Zimbru Chisinau: Nicolae Calancea, Levan Korgalidze (Oleg Sischin)  Daniel Balasa, Janko Tumbasevic (Constantin Iavorschi)
Zastavni, Serghei Cuztenov, Oleg Molla, Radu Catan, Adnriy Derkach, Ahmet Barakhoev
(Eugeniu Slivca)
Mihail Paius, Alex Cucu,      Serghei Gafina, 
1st leg Attendance:  1022 at Nantporth
 5th July  2012
Zimbru Chisinau 2
 1 Bangor City
   Oleg Molla 2 
  Mark Smyth
  The second leg in Moldova inevitably would be tougher and so it proved.
  Again Maesgeirchen striker Les Davies led the line but one change from the Nantporth episode saw Chris Jones replace debutant Chris Simm. Davies went close early on with a guided header.
  On the half hour Oleg Molla scored moments after Lee Idzi had denied him, stabbing home from close range after a deep cross from the right.
   Three minutes later it got worse for Bangor as goalscorer Oleg Molla latched onto a loose ball to lash home beyond a startled Lee Idzi from long range to the delight of the Zimbru fans behind the goal.
   On 44 minutes a deep diagonal from Chris Roberts on the left found evaded Zastavni and was pounced on by the predatory Mark Smyth at the right hand post and his calm, low finish slid past Calancea into the net for a crucial goal for City.
  The second half began with Mark Smith pulling his shot wide. Chris Simm has an effort blocked whilst Barakhoev and Nicolaev went close for the Moldovans but the second half ended goalless and the 2-1 first half scoreline turned into the final aggregate outcome.
Zimbru Chisinau: Nicolae Calancea, Oleg Sischin (Levan Korgalidze) Daniel Nicolaev (Serghei Gafina) Daniel Balasa,
(Janko Tumbasevic) Serghei Cuztenov, Oleg Molla, Radu Catan, Adnriy Derkach,
Barakhoev,  Eugeniu Gorceac.
                  Subs:  Ghenadie Mosneaga Alex Cucu,    Const Iavorschi, Anriy Marina
Bangor City: Lee Idzi, Liam Brownhill, Chris Roberts,  Craig Garside (Dave Morley) Jamie Brewerton, Michael Johnston,
Smyth, Damien Allen, Les Davies, Chris Jones
(Chris Simm) Sion Edwards (Alan Bull)
Subs:  Kyle Clancy, Peter Hoy, Clive Williams, John Owen, 
2nd leg Attendance:    5900  (Sonera Stadium)
  19th July 2010

2014-15 Europa League
Stjarnan 4 v 0 Bangor City
Stjarnan 4 
 0 Bangor City
Olaf Karl Finsen 2
Veigar Gunnarson   
Arnar Bjorgvinsson

  The Bangor travelled to Iceland for a first ever encounter with Stjarnan on the outskirts of Rejkavik but the evening ended in an emphatic defeat which all but ends City's chances in this season's Europa League.
  Bangor boss Nev Powell gave a European debut to summer signing Sam Hart in midfield and there was a place on the bench for Jamie Brewerton.
  Playing into a strong wind City won an early freekick on the left which Sion Edwards crossed but Les Davies was flagged offside.
  But some thirteen minutes in things went sour for Bangor as a penalty was awarded to Stjarnan for a foul by Anthony Miley on Niclas Vemmelund following a deep corner from the left. Up stepped Olafur Karl Finsen to beat Jack Cudworth and put the Iceland side one goal ahead.
  It got worse for City two minutes later when Hordur Arnason found space on the left to cross for Veigar Gunnarson and the Icelandic international headed home cleanly from six yards out on around fifteen minutes. The Bangor bench jumped up and appealed for a foul with Anthony Miley seeming to be pushed in the back, but the goal stood despite the protestations.
  Bangor tried to respond and a run from Les Davies saw the ball run for Sam Hart but his twenty yard effort was comfortably pocketed by goalkeeper Invgar Jonnson. On twenty five minutes Chris Roberts was flattened by Niclas Vemmelund for which he was shown the first yellow card of the evening.
  On the half hour Stjarnan won a corner which Gunnarson crossed but Vemmelund - who might have been sent off minutes earlier - steered wide.
  Next Les Davies has an effort blocked but the Icelanders are menacing with their pace and movement which sees Michael Johnston concede a corner which Johannson crosses but happily for Bangor straight into the side netting. With some five minutes to go before half time Chris Jones is fouled on the right by Johannson. Sion Edwards delivers the freekick but Stjarnan clear.
  In the closing minutes Les Davies found Sion Edwards whose shot was blocked as City sought to halve the deficit before Laxdal went close for the home side. There was time for Anthony Miley to be shown the yellow card for a foul on Gunnarson as two added minutes began. Nothing much further to report as the referee blew for the interval.
  So City trailing two goals to nil but with the wind at their backs Bangor might fancy their chances of pulling back even one away goal which would give the second leg such a different complexion..
So with no changes at the interval the main question was would the wind help City find an away goal?
  But seven minutes into the second period it was the Icelandic side who nearly increased their lead as Gunnarson hit the post when well placed.
  And the warning was driven home on 54 minutes when Pablo Punyed found Olafur Karl Finsen who made it three nil with his second of the evening to leave Bangor with a mountain to climb.
  This sparked City into action and the first sustained period of pressure all evening. First Sion Edwards fired a freekick wide after a foul by Praest. Then Les Davies had a shot turned away for a corner which Sion Edwards delivered but the Latvian referee awarded a freekick against Anthony Miley who was clearly getting the rough end of some decisions.

  On the hour another Bangor corner which Anthony Miley just failed to send goalwards and moments later Chris Jones fired just over from ten yards.
  Stjarnan responded with the first substitution of the evening as G Johannsson came on for Gunnarson.
 Ten minutes later Jack Cudworth pulled off a fine save from Johannson but he took the resulting corner which
Arnar Bjorgvinsson  netted to make it four nil and effectively end the game as a contest.
  Within a minute (on 71) City sent on Jamie McDaid for Chris Jones in a bid to salvage something from the match.
  But things went from bad to worse for Bangor who had Damien Allen yellow carded on 73 minutes before debutant Sam Hart was shown a straight red for a challenge on Finsen with thirteen minutes left on the clock.
With ten minutes left Sion Edwards forced a save out of Johnnson who had scarcely been run off his feet before Les Davies fired wide. Moments later Rob Jones came on for Sion Edwards who had worked hard on the left.
   Spanish midfielder Pablo Punyed went close to making it five with as many minutes to go as the home side looked to extend their advantage. In the final minute Heider Aegisson replaced goalscorer Finsen before Joe Culshaw came on for Ryan Edwards.
Stjarnan: Invgar Jonnson, Niclas Vemmelund, Daniel Laxdal, Hordur Arnason, Martin Rauschenburg, Michael Praest, Atli Johannson,
Pablo Punyed. Veigar Gunnarson (
Gardar Johannsson), Arnar Bjorgvinsson (Ottesen Palsson), Olaf Karl Finsen (Heider Aegisson)
Svein Johanesson,
Aron Heiddal, Balvin Sturluson, Snorri Blondal
Bangor City:  Jack Cudworth, Dec Walker, Chris Roberts,  Michael Johnston, Anthony Miley, Sam Hart, Ryan Edwards (Joe Culshaw),
Chris Jones (Jamie McDaid), Les Davies, Damien Allen, Sion Edwards (Rob Jones)
Subs:  Nick Bould, Jamie Brewerton, Iolo Hughes, Corey Jones
1st leg Attendance:  1000 at Rejkavik
 3rd July  2014
Bangor City 0
 4 Stjarnan
  Arnar Bjorgvinsson 2
  Martin Rauschenburg
  Atli Johannson
  City crashed out of Europe with a second four nil defeat to the Icelandic side who were full value for their win, in particular in the second half which they dominated.
 The pre match news centred on Michael Johnston was fit to play whilst Jamie McDaid got the nod upfront.
Bangor kicked off attacking the Antelope End with Jamie McDaid straight into the action. The first half chance of the evening came inside ten minutes when City won a corner but Stjarnan cleared.
  The next effort came from Gardar Johannsson but that flew just over the Bangor bar.  Then a second corner came as goalkeeper Jonnson had to be alert to turn a goalbound effort from Sion Edwards wide of his post.
  Midway through the half Damien Allen sent a freekick narrowly wide after a foul on Chris Jones by Michael Praest. On the half hour City won their third corner of the evening but the Icelanders dealt confidently with the danger.
  City created a clear opening moments later when the ball ran to Sion Edwards but Jonnson saved low by his post. The double goalscorer from the first leg Finsen then cut inside but sent his low shot wide.
  Sion Edwards ran on goal before shooting on target from some thirty yards but the visiting goalkeeper saved comfortably. City went close then as Jamie McDaid crossed low from the right but no blues forward could find a touch and Stjarnan conceded a corner which eventually yielded a freekick for a supposed foul on the goalkeeeper.
  On 39 minutes Anthony Miley was shown the yellow card for a foul on Gardar Johannsson as Stjarnan won a freekick which Finsen sent high and wide to the delight of the blues faithful. Three minutes before the break Stjarnan won their first corner which was taken by Johannsson and headed goalwards by Laxdal and forced behind for a second corner by Jack Cudworth. The second kick was cleared by Les Davies.
  The final action of the first half saw Gardar Johannsson miss the target before Les Davies was shown the yellow card for a foul on Arnason and with cries of "you dont know what your doing" echoing in his ears the Norwegian blew for half time.
  Not the avalanche of goals needed to turn the aggregate score around but a clean sheet in the first period and a chance of winning the home leg and with it some vital ranking points.
  One change for the visitors at the interval as Veigar Gunnarson replaces dangerman Finsen.
  The first chance of the second period came to Dec Walker who pushed himself into a prominent position but headed narrowly wide. Then City won a freekick as Arnason fouled Les Davies. Left winger Sion Edwards crossed but Anthony Miley missed the target.
  But the visitors took the lead on the night through as Martin Rauschenburg smashed theball home from 25 yards out on 53 minutes to put themselves 5-0 ahead on aggregate. Moments later a second substitution of the evening as Arnar Bjorgvinsson came on for Ottesen Palsson. City responded in kind with Iolo Hughes coming on for injury doubt Michael Johnston.
  City did manage some pressure as Dec Walker had a shot blocked before a series of three corners in quick succession just before the hour but the Stjarnan defence stood firm.  But as often happens in these European games once they have defended their own goal the Icelanders were quick to threaten at the other end and with 22 minutes left on the clock it was 2-0 on the night as Gunnarson set up Arnar Bjorgvinsson who netted confidently. Two minutes Gunnarson went close to scoring himself but Jack Cudworth pulled off a fine save.
  On 71 minutes both sides made a change. Snorri Blondal came on for Gardar Johannsson and Joe Culshaw came on for Chris Jones. City had a half chance as Ryan Edwards could not quite turn and beat Jonnson from six yards as the ball ran behind him. Next up Gunnarrson fired over from fifteen yards out.
  There was worse to come for Bangor as Arnar Bjorgvinsson latched onto a well weighted pass through the middle of the Bangor defence from Punyed to slot home past Jack Cudworth for his second of the evening. City responded with a third and final change of the evening as Ryan Edwards made way for young Corey Jones in the blues midfield.
  But it was Stjarnan who struck again as Atli Johannson made it four nil with less than five minutes remaining. This prompted what amounted to a mass exodus of half the thirty or so Stjarnan fans who responded to some warm applause from the Nantporth faithful by taking their shoes off as they went!
  There were two minutes of added time before the blues fans could join their Icelandic counterparts in the Nantporth club and wish the visitors good luck in their forthcoming match with Motherwell whose manager Stuart McCall had long since gone.
Bangor City:  Jack Cudworth, Dec Walker, Chris Roberts,  Michael Johnston (Iolo Hughes), Anthony Miley, Ryan Edwards
Chris Jones (Joe Culshaw), Damien Allen, Les Davies, Jamie McDaid, Sion Edwards
Subs:  Nick Bould, Jamie Brewerton, Rob Jones,
Stjarnan: Invgar Jonnson, Daniel Laxdal, Hordur Arnason, Martin Rauschenburg, Michael Praest, Atli Johannson,
Pablo Punyed.
Balvin Sturluson.  Olaf Karl Finsen, Otesen Pallson, Gardar Johnannson
Svein Johanesson,  Niclas
Vemmelund, Aron Heiddal, Thori Runarrson
2nd leg Attendance:    805  Nantporth
  10th July 2014






Bangor City In Europe
September 1962 onwards