Bangor City Managers
Credits  - thanks to those mentioned for their help and to Ian Garland for countless pointers and  information.  
Apologies to anyone who feels I have used  materials without permission or acknowledgement, please contact via:

Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City
  1918 to 1939  Between The Wars

Sydney Beaumont

In July 1928 Bangor appointed a new secretary-manager in the form of Sydney Beaumont who joined from Blackpool where he had also been manager.
Born on 8th October 1884 in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, Syd Beaumont was a well travelled player whose career took in clubs all over England and Wales.  As a left winger or wing half he was with Colchester, Lincoln 1904-05, Watford from 1909-11, moved to Preston North End from 1911 to 1913, on to Merthyr Town and then served as secretary manager of Barry in 1922, Llanelli in 1924 and Aberdare Athletic - then of the Third Division North - from 1924-27. In 1927 he took over as manager of Blackpool on 1st August 1927 until 31st May 1928, succeeding Major Frank Buckley.


Len Davies

On 8th July 1932 Bangor were elected into the Birmingham & District League.  They appointed Len Davies as player manager for the 1932-32 season and he stayed with the club until 1935.
Len Davies was born in Cardiff in 1899 and played for Cardiff City for much of his career, scoring the club's first ever Football League hatrick in January 1922 after their election to the league in 1920.  He was capped 22 times by Wales, the first against England in 1922 and the last versus Scotland in 1930, all whilst with Cardiff.  In these 22 matches he scored six goals. Len was a goalscoring forward who holds the Cardiff City goalscorers record of 128 scored betwen 1920/31.  Len was a member of the famous Cardiff side of 1927 that won the English FA Cup against Arsenal at Wembley and played for The Bluebirds at farrar Road the following year  in their 2-0 Welsh Cup Final defeat of Bangor.  After leaving Farrar Road he became a coach at Mostyn House School, Parkgate on The Wirral and died of pneumonia in Prescott in 1945.


Harry Hadley

In July 1935 Bangor City appointed Harry Hadley as manager of their Birmingham League side. He stepped down in 1936 and so retired from football at the age 59.
Born in Barrow-in-Furness on 26th October 1877, Harry Hadley played for Cradley Health & District Schools, Colley Gate United and Halesown before he made 181 appearances for West Bromwich Albion and was sold to Aston Villa for £250 in February 1905 and made eleven appearances.  Joined Notts Forest in April 1906, Southampton and Croydon Common.  He was capped by England v Ireland in 1903 as a leftback.
His managerial career included a ten year spell as boss at Merthyr Town and a shorter spell on the staff at Chelsea.  
Harry died in West Bromwich on 12th September 1942.


David Pratt

A new manager arrived at Farrar Road in August 1937 in the form of Scotsman David Pratt, who only lasted until October of that season.
Born in Lochore, Fife on 5th March 1896.  David Prattt was a very experienced appointment for Bangor City with a career that had taken in both large and small club in England and Scotland before he arrived in Wales. As a defensive player David played for Hill O'Beath and Celtic before he made 55 appearances for Bradford City and 85 for Liverpool (signed January 1923) before taking over as manager at Yeovil following a spell with Bury.  He was manager of Yeovil & Petters United from 1929 to 1933 and then May 1933 to December in charge at Clapton Orient.  He was manager at Notts County from April to June 1935 and then spent two years in charge in Edinburgh with Hearts before moving to Bangor.  During the war David served with the RAF and then worked as a sports commentator before becoming manager of Port Vale from December 1944 to July 1945.


Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City
1946 - 72 Post War To Early Seventies

George Richardson
New player manager George Richardson was appointed in 1948.  City were playing in the Lancashire Combination and the new manager had a simple brief - get Bangor into the Cheshire League.  This he achieved in 1950 when Cty won a vote against rivals Droylsden 17-7 and remained in post until 1952 and the arrival of E.R Depear.
George Richardson was born in Worksop on 12th December 1912 (12.12.12!) and played for Huddersfield Town and Sheffield United before the Second World War.  When football resumed after the war George scored five goals in 16 appearances at inside right for Hull City in 1946-47 before joining City as player manager.  He sadly died in 1968.
Roland Depear

For the 1952-53 season the new man at the helm was player manager Roland Depear.  He was a no nonesense centre half with a career in professional football and brought a firm sense of organisation to City in those early Cheshire League days. City had to apply for re-election to the Cheshire League at the end of the 1956-57 season and Roland's contract was not renewed.
Roland Depear was born in Spalding on 10th December 1923 and came into football with Spalding Athletic and then Boston United.
He made five appearances for Major Frank Buckley at Leeds United, 16 for Newport County, and finally 74 for Shrewsbury Town bertween 1950-52.
The following extract comes from the excellent Boston United website:
He had been offered a house and £7 a week by Hull City, but he turned them down as he did not want to leave his job with Spalding UDC. He was sold to Leeds United at the end of the 47/8 season for £500, with an additional £300 due on completing ten games for Leeds. He was sold by Leeds to Newport County for £8000 after playing just five games. He later joined Shrewsbury Town and he played in their first ever Football League game - a 0-0 draw against Scunthorpe United in August 1950. Towards the end of his career he returned to Spalding and played for Quadring in the Boston & District League.

Photo and Extract courtesy of Boston United website:

Tommy Jones
Tommy Jones was Bangor City boss for ten years!  His side was most famously that which won that entered the European Cup Winners Cup and faced the might of AC Napoli before finally losing in a replay at Highbury. His team included Len Davies, Ken Birch, Eddie Brown and more.  The year before City had beaten Cardiff and Wrexham to win the Welsh Cup in 1962!  
Tommy Jones left Farrar Road at the end of the 1966-67 season and sadly died on 3rd January 2004.

Born in Connahs Quay on 12th October 1917 Tommy Jones was better known as T.G.Jones and lauded by Everton supporters as one of the greatest players to represent the Goodison club.  He first made half a dozen appearances for Wrexham but was soon signed by Everton and won a First Divison Championship medal in his second season of 1938-39.  FC Roma bid £15,000 for the cultured centreback but his move was blocked by foreign exchange difficulties, although Tommy Lawton and Joe Mercer - for whom Jones had been best man - were allowed to go.  He left Everton in 1950 after 178 appearances and five goals.  Tommy also played seventeen full and eleven war time internationals for Wales before moving to live in Pwllheli where he managed the local side and then taking charge at Bangor City.


Mick McGrath

Tommy Jones' replacement in August 1967 was Mick McGrath, who led City into the NPL and to a 1969 NPL Cup success.  He was a player under Tommy Jones and seemed the ideal replacement - if anyone could be - for the departed manager.  Mick who had won 22 Caps for Eire, created a thrilling, attacking side which was aptly illustrated by two successive away wins, 7-2 at South Liverpool and 7-1 at Hyde! Mick's term ended in 1971 with the brief reign of Ken Barnes
Mick McGrath was born in Dublin on 7th April 1936 and began his playing career with Home Farm.  In August 1954 he moved to Blackburn Rovers and made 269 Football League appearances over the next ten years at Ewood Park.  Mick played alongside England stars such as Peter Dobing, Irish striker Derek Dougan and future Wales manager Mike England.  He helped the club win promotion to the First Division and appeared in the 1960 FA Cup Final where he had the misfortune of scoring an own goal as Wolves won 3-0.  In March 1966 he signed for Bradford Park Avenue where he made precisely fifty league appearances.  Mick also made 22 full International Appearances for The Republic of Ireland.
MICK McGRATH,     Left Half  Signed by former Blackburn manager Johnny Carey from Carey's old club. Home Farm, in Dublin.  Now an automatic choice for Eire—following in the Carey footsteps.  Tiger tackier and the man whose equalising goals saved the day against Blackpool and Burnley. Height 5 ft. 9 in., weight 10 st. 6 Ib.

Ken Barnes

pictured (right)
with Leeds legend
Don Revie

Ken Barnes was in charge during the early weeks of the 1970-71 season after Mick McGrath left in August. Ken left Bangor City join up with his old pal Joe Mercer at Manchester City.
Ken Barnes was born in Birmingham on 6th March 1929.  He first came into football with Stafford Rangers but in May 1950 he signed for Manchester City for £750 where he played from 1951-60 making 258 League appearances and scoring 18 goals.  He played in the FA Cup Finals of 1955 and 56 picking up a Winners Medal in the 1956 defeat of Birmingham.  In May 1961 he was transferred to Wrexham where he stayed until 1964 making a further 132 appearancea and netting 24 goals.  He was manager at The Racecourse from 1961-65 and later managed Witton Albion before finally returning to Manchester City where he served as Chief Scout or Coach for every manager from Joe Mercer to Joe Royle, from 28th August 1970 until 2000, allowing for the odd spell away.  Ken was the father of England left winger Peter Barnes (and his brother Michael who played for Bangor) and wrote a well received book entitled "This Simple Game" about his life in football. Ken sadly died in July 2010 aged 81.
John Doherty

Then Altrincham based John Doherty took over during the early months of the 1970-71 season.  John stepped in when Ken Barnes  left after the shortest of stays.  Doherty had a line up which included Alex Lucas, Albert Jackson, George McGowan, George Morton and Jim Conde and stayed in charge until the end of the 1971-72 season.
John Doherty was born in Manchester on 12th March 1935.  He joined Manchester United at the age of 17 and spent five seasons at Old Trafford making 25 Football League appearances and scoring five goals from inside forward.  His career was bligh ted by a persistent knee injury but it abated sufficiently to allow 16 League appearances and a Championship medal in 1955/56.  It   was injury which saved the talented Doherty from the Munich Aircrash in 1958.  In October 1957 he joined Leicester City where he again scored five goals this time from twelve games played.  In January 2005 John was actively involved with the Manchester United Former Players Association.

Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City
1972-78 Years of Pain & Glory

Alex Smith

The 1972-73 season got underway with player manager Alex Smith appointed during the summer.  Chairman Tom Cowell welcomed the new boss and playing staff arrivals including Roy Hughes and Eric Brodie.  His first game in charge on 12th August 1972 was against a Boston side which old favourite featured Jim Conde.  Smith started the 1973-74 campaign in charge of a team which featured Ivan Crossley, Brian Grundy and Colin Penrose.
Alex Smith was born in Billingham on 6th February 1944 and joined Middlesbrough as a junior in December 1961. 
From 1965 to 1971 Alex made 120 League appearnaces for the club - including one as a sub - and scored oa solitary goal.  He moved from Ayresome Park to Farrar Road in 1972 and by July 1974 was returning to the North East and full time football once more with Darlington for whom he made 43 appearance in the 1974-75 season.

Dick Jones
However in February 1974 Smith was gone with Dick Jones in his place and a mid-table end of season position despite a 25 goal haul from Argraig motors marksman John Hughes. Dick remained as boss in August 1974 with Barry Ashworth as skipper, alongside Mike Kilduff in the City defence.
Dick Jones had managerial experience with local rivals Rhyl before stepping briefly into the Farrar Road hotseat.  In retirement Dick lived in Rhyl until his death in February 2010.

Barry Ashworth

When Dick went in the Spring, temporary player-manager Barry Ashworth stood firm to lift the club from the threat of relegation to finish 19 of 24 clubs.  A calm figure - see also Legends - Barry continued to play and guide the team from central defence.
Barry Ashworth was born in Stockport on 18th August 1942 and first played for Bangor City in 1962 before starting his career at Southend United in July 1963. After 5 goals in 31 League appearances Barry moved North to Hartlepool where he scored 4 more in 45 matches.  In July 1966 he moved to Tanmere Rovers and after 21 appearances - and 3 goals - in just over a year, he made the short trip to Chester City (where this picture took place) and nine goals in 118 appearances.  His career totals stand at 21 goals in 215 League appearances.

Roy Rees

The opening programme notes of the 1975-76 season were written by new manager Roy Rees under the chairmanship of Colwyn Bay based Vincent Burke.  A Bangor University lecturer, Rees brought John McClelland to the club, likewise Kit Fagan, Alan McDermott and Fran Corrigan.  (Fagan the son of Liverpool legend Joe).  He had an assistant called Tony Sanders.
Whilst with Bangor City, manager Roy Rees was also in charge of the British Universities side.

While coaching in England, Roy Rees led the Skelmersdale United team to F.A. Amateur championships in 1967 and 1 971. During his years as head coach in Altrincham (1971 to 1977), the team won the Vauxhall Conference championship twice and the F.A. Trophy once. He also coached the national teams in Iraq, Iceland, Sudan, and Algeria, and was coach of the British team in the 1978 World University Games.
As head coach of the US National U-17 Team from 1985 through 1993, Roy Rees led the Americans to four consecutive appearances in the World Cup.
Since living in America, Roy has also found time to co-author a book on football coaching.

Dave Elliot
For the 1976-77 season Arthur Evans took over as Chairman from Mr Burke and appointed Dave Elliott as manager, upon the recommendation of Welsh boss Mike Smith.  City also had a Youth Development Officer, Wyn Davies a Caernarfon school teacher!  City played winning football with a definite flair, Elliot was Manager of The Month for September 1976.

The 1978 Welsh Cup Final saw City lose over two legs to an Arfon Griffiths led Wrexham.  The City boss was still Dave Elliot (then a player manager) in charge of a richly talented side which included Dewi Atherton, John McClelland, Tony Broadhead and Billy Telford.

Dave Elliot was born in Tantobie, mid way between Gateshead and Consett on 10th February 1945.  He made 31 League appearances for Sunderland inbetween 1963-66 before moving to Newcastle United where 80 more League matches followed from 1966-70.  He then moved to Southend and 177 appearances before a final fling with Newport County ended after 23 apperances in 1978.  This adds up to career total of 311 league appearances.


Stuart Mason

The row between Charles Roberts and Dave Elliot meant the departure of the latter to be replaced by his player coach Wrexham based Stuart Mason in the summer of 1978.  This proved to be a very unpopular choice with the fans!  Stuart recruited goalkeeper Kevin Charlton and an able assistant manager in Reg Matthewson, but it never quite worked.  Happily over the two seasons Bangor had enough points and positive placings to be admitted to the new Alliance league.  By the end of that 1978-79 season Mason had left the club.
Stuart Mason was born in Whitchurch, Shropshire on 2nd June 1948 and and signed for Wrexham in July 1966 and made 28 League appearances for The Racecourse side whilst becoming an England Youth International.  Stuart was transferred to Liverpool but failed to make his first team bow despite a solitary loan apperance for Doncaster Rovers.  By June 1968 he returned to Wrexham and made a further 157 appearances before moving to Chester in 1973 where a 137 matches followed.  After a couple of brief loan spells at Rochdale and Crewe Alexandra the midfielder moved to Farrar Road.  His time in football continued after leaving Bangor with a spell at Oswestry Town and a job within the commercial department of Wrexham FC.
Stuart sadly died aged 57 on 6th February 2006.

Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City
1979 - 84 Ups & Downs

Stan Storton

1979 was the first season of the Alliance (now Conference) League, Bangor City were founder members of the first national English "non league" but found the going tough.  Under the management of window cleaner Stan Storton City finished ninth with a team built around 'keeper Kevin Charlton, Alan Walker, Kevin Mooney and striker Dave Mather.  Storton departed for bigger and better things with Telford United and took most of the players with him!
Stan Storton was born in Keighley, West Yorkshire on 5th January 1939 and signed for Bradford City in July 1957.  After 111 League appearances for City he moved to Darlington in January 1964 where he made 15 appearances. In July 1964 he made the short journey to Hartlepool where he turned out 72 times and then in July 1966 a final professional club Tranmere where he made 120 League appearances between 1966-69.  In non league circles Stan had managed Runcorn for several years before joining Bangor and went to have great success at Northwich and Telford United where he spent eight seasons and became legendary for the club's FA Cup exploits.

Colin Hawkins

By 1980-81 City were under the eccentric guidance of maverick Anglesey based boss Colin Hawkins. 
The Hawk, larger than life, ran an hotel on the Island and an Alliance side on a shoestring.  He worked long hours to bring players in but money talks and most said no  thanks.  Needless to say it was all going to end in tears, Alan King, Jim Sargeant and all.  Relegated.  He did sign Graham Bennett though....

After leaving Farrar Road the colourful Hawkins managed Porthmadog and Cemaes Bay and became a well known figure in both the League of Wales and the Cymru Alliance.

Dave Elliot

The 1981-82 season was the only time Bangor won the Northern Premier League, the only Welsh Club to do so, and the most successful period under manager Dave Elliott.  Under the guidance of Wrexham based Chairman Charles Roberts a team of genuine ability and prolific goalscoring was constructed.  Top scorer Graham Bennett was unstoppable, alongside him Graham Whittle, Dave Smallman, Gwyn Peris Jones, Phil Lunn and Meillir Owen.

Promotion ensued to the Alliance with new chairman John Ross Jones taking charge upstairs in April 1983.  Elliott led City to the 1984 FA Trophy appearance at Wembley, Paul Whelan and Mark Gray, and then - relegation.  

Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City
1984 - 92 The Northern Premier League

John Mahoney

This period begins during the summer of 1984 with Bangor relegated from The Alliance (now Conference) and beginning a new era in the NPL under John Mahoney.  Well not exactly.  The season started with Dave Elliot still at the helm but he resigned after losign all four games in August 1984 and by September John Mahoney had been appointed. The former Welsh International built a tremendous side with the assistance of John Trevor Roberts.  Players signed included 'keeper Trevor Ball, Derek Goulding, Kevin Mooney, John Aspinall, Neville Powell, Carl Dale and Tony Livens.  But first it was a journey into Europe with the likes of Gerry Banks and Everton & Viv Williams.  The matches with Frederikstad and Atletico Madrid are the stuff of legend -and so was Josh.  A lovable character, shrewd tactician and ready to listen to someone else's point of view. Josh left following Board mischief.
John Mahoney was born in Cardiff on 20th September 1946.  His first football club were Crewe Alexandra where he signed in March 1966 and a year later Stoke City. He made 18 and 284 League appearances respectively for the two, scoring  5 and 25 goals in turn.  After ten years at Stoke, in August 1977 he moved to Middlesbrough and scored once in 77 midfield appearances. His final English League club were Swansea City whom he joined under the management of his cousin John Toshack in July 1979 where he netted once in 110 appearances.  His career total stands at 489 League appearances including 18 from the bench.  Add to this 51 full International Caps for Wales and three for the Under 23s.

John Aspinall

The new manager was John Aspinall, a sour character but with a sound football brain and still considerable playing ability.  John Aspinall continued as a player manager and was able to operate effectively from centre half or midfield, win his headers, tackles and pick pasess from any position.  Popular though he was not.  He resigned on the team coach travelling back from an away game and tried to get the players to go with him.  Fortunately Derek Goulding led the opposite of a revolution and most of the players opted to stayed.

John Aspinall was born in Birkenhead on 15th March 1959 and signed for his local club Tranmere Rovers in October 1982.  A creative midfielder John scored 19 goals in 77 League appearances for Rovers before moving into part time football where he played for Altrincham amongst others. After his involvement with Bangor John had a number of clubs, was manager at Caernarfon Town from 1995-97 and had a brief spell as assistant manager to another former blue Colin Hawkins at Porthmadog but that ended in relegation in 1998.

Kevin Mooney

Aspinall was replaced by Kevin Mooney, an altogether more affable and easy going character but with an equally shrewd football knowledge.  Nicknamed, unfairly perhaps, Bunga, Mooney held things together and was the first Bangor manager of the past 30 years to experiment with a sweeper system.  Was sacked infamously by a phone call from the Waterloo pub in Bangor at 11pm one evening!
Kevin Mooney was born in Liverpool on 23rd August 1959 and after playing for a number of non leagues clubs first joined Bangor in 1979 as a player, before moving into league football with Bury for whom he made a solitary Football League appearance in 1980. He returned to the part time football scene and impressed with Telford United before Tranmere Rovers offered the chance of another opportunity at the higher level in August 1982.  After 22 League appearances, including one as a sub, Kevin was released and once again signed for Bangor City under the management of John Mahoney. After leaving Farrar Road Kevin moved to Southport in October 1990 where as club captain he played in all 68 League and Cup games in 1992-93 as The Sandgrounders won the NPL title with 96 points!  He left Haig Avenue in April 1994.

Brian Owen

Anglesey based Brian Owen took over with the notion of bringing in local players, such as Colin Redmayne and Gary Campbell, to represent the club.  When this plan failed him Brian worked hard to bring in players from further afield, such as Iain Sankey and Bob Colville to the club.  Results were not always favourable and the team came under pressure.  These were difficult times at Farrar Road, the fans were against him, and the inevitable happened.
Brian Owen had been manager of Anglesey based LlanfairPG when they enjoyed a fine Welsh Cup run and played against Kidderminster Harriers.  A knowledgable, well known figure in North Wales football, after leaving Bangor Brian took over as manager of Llangefni Town in the Cymru Alliance and has served the club in various positions since. He is still an occasional visitor to Farrar Road.

John Mahoney
John Mahoney came back due to popular demand in the late eighties, but the magic was gone. To be fair he made some dreadful blunders, such as releasing Derek Goulding and cold shouldering Iain Sankey, in favour of the likes of Colin Tatlock.  The club was spiralling into near terminal decline and the Board had no answers.  The supporters were divided by the looming spectre of the proposed League of Wales and what happened on the pitch was less than relevant.  At the end of the season all the NPL players left and the new horizon dawned.


Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City Managers Bangor City
1992-2007 The Welsh Premier

Ernie Whalley
Ernie Whalley was appointed to take Bangor into the LoW and was in charge in August 1982 for the inagural fixture against Abergavenny at Farrar Road.  He had an impressive track record at the highest level with 40 years spent at Chelsea and Crystal Palace but perhaps the culture shock was too much.  Certainly the rule of fear approach did no good, nor did his visible lack of contacts or awareness of the level or expectations.  Perhaps if he had been given 2/3 seasons to build a side he might have got things right. By the end of October 1992 he was gone.
Ernie Walley was born in Caernarfon on 7th April 1933 and lived in Ysgubor Goch where he helped with the family newsagents along with younger brother Tommy.  Ernie joined Tottenham as a junior in May 1951.  Ernie made five League appearances for Spurs as a wing half before moving to Middlesbrough seven years later in May 1958.  After eight appearances for 'Boro he moved into coaching and enjoyed a lengthy association with Chelsea and Crystal Palace where he had a brief 6 game spell as first team manager following the departure of Terry Venables and prior to the arrival of his replacement Malcolm Allison!
In retirement in 2006 Ernie is living on Anglesey.

Paul Rowlands

His mid November 1982 successor was Paul Rowlands ably assisted by John Hulse.  They rebuilt the side, brought in the likes of Adkins, Rutter, Wiggins, Terry, Noble, Mottram and Hughes.  Rollo's weakness was an over bearing anxiety, a will to win gone berserk.  Players were too wound up and unable to give of their best.  It was perhaps best for all concerned that the managerial team could not resist an offer from Altrincham....
Paul Rowlands was born on 10th January 1961 and signed for Tranmere Rovers but was released without a League appearance.  He moved around the local non league scene and played for Cammell Laird, Hoylake and Kirkby before joining Runcorn in 1985 and then Bangor City (as a player) before moving to New Zealand club Mount Tanganui.  Rollo then played for Barrow before his spell as player manager with Bangor ended when in November 1993 he was invited back to Moss Lane for the Altrincham managers job which proved a disasterous return.  He picked up his playing career with Worcester City before joining Conwy United and Caernarfon Town (Feb 1998 – Oct 1999) as manager.

Nigel Adkins
To be replaced in November 1993 by Nigel Adkins and Steve Myers, who won Two Championships and therefore two European adventures.  They brought in Marc Lloyd Williams (Jiws) and Kevin Langley.  They also played the best attacking football seen at Farrar Road for many years, 4-4-2 and a top notch passing game.  Frank and Jiws scored the goals too.  Adkins & Myers were sacked twice as the behind the scenes struggles spilt over, Nigel eventually moving on to become physio at Scunthorpe in the Football League after 95 LoW appearances for City.
Nigel Adkins was born in Birkenhead on 11th March 1965 and joined his local side Tranmere Rovers eighteen years later as a promising young goalkeeper.  Nigel made 86 League appearances for Tranmere before moving to Wigan Athleitic where he played a further 155 matches.  After leaving Farrar Road he completed his training as a Physiotherapist and took up a post with Scunthorpe. In Novemebr 2006 when Brian Laws left for Sheffeld Wednesday, Nigel was appointed caretaker manager. Scunthorpe fans generated the chant "Who needs Mourinho, we've got out physio!" Promotion and relegation followed but in September 2010 he moved to Southampton and took The Saints to the Championship in 2011 and then, in April 2012 to the Premier League.
England awaits!


Bryan Griffiths

The replacement in March 1996 was Bryan Griffiths with strong links to Southport.  His chances scuppered with the withdrawl of Paul Lodge, his failure to win the fans over or convert chances.  Griff seemed a pleasant enough chap who deserved better than the abuse he got - but circumstances were less than ideal.  It has to be siad that Griff did not have much in the way of luck despite bringing in players including Derek Highdale and Shaun Lundon.  But he had picked up what might best be described as a poisoned chalice, which meant gone in September 1996.
Bryan Griffiths was born in Liverpool on 21st November 1939 and joined Everton as a junior in March 1956.  Aftert two League appearances for The Toffees he moved to Southport who were then a Football League club where he made 118 appearances in a two year spell which began in June 1960. When injury ended his playing career Griff took over as manager at Formby, then on to Burscough, where the club won the first ever NWCFL championship, and South Liverpool winning the Liverpool Senior Cup in 1984.  He then enjoyed spells with Southport, Mossley and Morecambe where his assistant manager was (now ex Southampton boss) David Jones.  Bryan also managed Witton Albion and Chorley amongst others.

Kevin Langley
His replacement in October 1996 was fans hero Kevin Langley.  Too many poor signings and allegations of misappropriated signing on fees dogged Langley.  The better signings included former Wigan midfield schemer Neil Rimmer and flying right winger Lee Clowes, the most disappointing centre forward Phil Daley. Langley came to office following "supporter power" on the terraces and it was their calls for his head that hastened his departure.  Again the behind the scenes problems, or disagreements, scarcely helped.  In May 1997 as the season ended - and respite apparent reassurances from the club - Langley left.
Kevin Langley was born in St Helens on 24th May 1964 and joined Wigan Athletic eighteen years later after working as a painter and decorator. In July 1986 he transferred to Everton for £120,000, and scored two goals in his first four games. By March 1987 however he had moved onto Manchester City, and after a loan spell at Chester joined Birmingham in March 1988, before rejoining Wigan in September 1990.  He holds the Wigan Athletic Football League appearance record, appearing 317 times (10 as substitute), scoring 12 goals. He also made 14 Cup appearances (twice as substitute), adding a further 2 goals to his club tally. After leaving Bangor he became manager of a number of clubs including Kidsgrove Athletic.


Graeme Sharp

Langley's replacement was John Hulse under the figure head of Graeme Sharp.  Hulse brought in the men, Sharp picked the team.  Now Sharp is a Goodison legend and Scottish International, he was manager of Oldham Athletic and had the best pedigree of any manager seen at Farrar Road.  To be honest the situation was inappropriate in many ways, although a Welsh Cup win proved things were good enough to cheer the faithful.  Both mentioned departed over an unpaid Cup winners bonuses issue.
Graeme Sharp was born on 16th October 1960 in Glasgow and joined Dumbarton as a youngster but was soon on his way to Everton in April 1980 for a fee of £120,000. Graeme was noted for his spectacular goals but will fondly remember the opening strike in the 2-0 FA Cup Final defeat of Watford in 1984. After 412 first team appearances for Everton (322 League) and 150 goals (306 League) Graeme was transferred to Oldham Athletic in 1991 for a fee of £500,000 and when Athletic manager Joe Royle moved into Goodison as manager in 1994 Sharp took over as player manager in his place in November 1994. He was forced out in February 1997.  Surprisingly he made only twelve appearances for Scotland.  After leaving Farrar Road he moved back to Goodison where he still (January 2006) working as Fans Liaison Officer.

Johnny King
Their replacement was Johny King, an Altrincham legend, who took over for the European games and then departed.  King deserved better than an "all at sea club" with in fighting and back stabbing.  He perhaps underestimated the level of the LoW and generally failed to sign players who looked the part.  First game in charge FC Haka in August 1998 and last on a month later 19th September 1998 against Newtown..
John King's early playing career took in Everton and Shrewsbury Town before moving into non league football with Wigan Athletic and Northwich Vics.  He signed for Altrincham in November 1977 for £3500 and began a legendary association with The Robins. where he was to win the FA Trophy in 1978 and 1982 and Alliance Premier League titles in 1980 and 1981..  By 1984 he was manager of South Liverpool and on the move back to Altrincham for a series of managerial stays in the eighties and nineties.  He won the FA Trophy for Altrincham in 1986 but resigned the next day to take over at Runcorn!

Lee Williams

His replacement Lee Williams the "in post" goalkeeper (ala Adkins) no nonesense and physically menacing when riled.  Williams appointed Dean Martin as his assistant, Bangor finished in the lowest ever position largely due to a series of missed goalscoring chances.  For instance a home defeat to Caersws who won 1-0 when they deserved to lose 5-1 at best!  Lee brought in Tommy Mutton and Aaron Thomas, also Scott Williams and Dave Norman.
Lee Williams was born on 9th April 1968 and began his playing career with Birmingham City and Bolton Wanderers before becoming a regular with his home town side Colwyn Bay.  A fierce competitor and a decisive penalty taker who once scored more than a dozen goals in one season for NPL side Droylsden. After leaving Farrar Road he took over as manager at Rhyl with John Hulse as his understudy in October 2000 but in May 2002 he was replaced by his assistant in the post. During the 2005-06 season he was registered with TNS as understudy to Doherty.

The partnership for 1999/2001 was Meirion Appleton and assistant Terry Boyle.  Meirion had vast experience - much of it with Aberystwyth - whilst seasoned pro Boyle was heavily involved in the Football in The Community Scheme on North West Wales.  The first season 1999-2000 saw three Manager of The Month Awards and culminated in a Welsh Cup success at The Racecourse in May 2000.  The following season was very bleak and - having steered the club to league safety - Meirion stepped down.  Meirion will be remembered as a warm character who managed the club during difficult times behind the scenes, and one who brought in some interesting individuals including Lewis Coady, Rhodri Giggs and former Welsh International Clayton Blackmore.
Meirion Appleton was manager of Llanidloes in 1992-93 the first season of the LoW. He took over the running of his home town side Aberystwyth Town in the from September 1994 through to February 1999. During that time The Seasiders improved season on season to rise from 17th in his first campaign to 4th in his last.  After his two year stay at Farrar Road he took over at struggling Rhayader from October 2001 ending in May 2002 when the club was relegated.
In January 2006 Meirion was actively involved in the FAW Trust and still living in Aberystwyth.

Peter Davenport

In June 2001 Peter Davenport was appointed manager with Marc Lloyd Williams his assistant.  These two played together at Stockport County although Davenport is better known for his time at Notts Forest, Manchester United and Middlesbrough.  Managerial experience at Macclesfield Town.   However the partnership did not last very long with Davenport preferring to manage alone.  Bangor finished third for a UEFA place in his first season and then third for an Inter Toto spot in 2003.  During his time at Farrar Road players such as Phil Priestley, Alan Goodall, Phil Baker and Simon Davies arrived whilst young midfielder Owain Jones was developed into a Football League regular - as was Goodall.  After a frustrating start to the 2005-06 season, and following defeat at Rhyl on 4th December 2005 Davenport resigned - with the November Manager of The Month as his parting gift from Welsh football.
The first England International to manage the Bangor City since World War One.

Peter Davenport was born 24 March 1961 in Birkenhead.  A distinguished playing and goalscoring career that began with Everton who released the young striker who made a name for himself with Cammell Laird FC and caught the eye of maverick Nottingham Forest manager Brian Clough who signed him January 1982. In March 1986 he was transferred to Manchester United for £570,000 and then after 26 goals in 106 games moved to November 1988 to Middlesborough moving on to Sunderland in July 1990. Peter joined Airdrie in 1993. led to a managerial stay at Macclesfield where he replaced Sammy McIlroy. 
The only Full England International to manage Bangor City since the war and the club's longest serving manager in the WP.


Clayton Blackmore
Following the departure of Peter Davenport, and after a month or so under the temporary management of Mel Jones, Bangor City appointed Clayton Blackmore on Tuesday 17th January 2006.  His first match in charge was against runaway WP leaders TNS at Farrar Road on Sunday 22nd January 2006.
Clayton Blackmore was born in Neath, South Wales on 23rd September 1964. He joined Manchester United as a trainee in May 1981 and signed professional a year later. Clayton made his first team debut on 16th May 1984 v Nottingham Forest and went on to make 243 apperances including 186 in the leagur, scoring 25 goals (19 league).  In July 1994 he was transferred to Middlesbrough where he made a further 66 appearances before moving on to Barnsley in February 1999.  During his time at 'Boro Clayton also spent a month on loan at Bristol City.  After five months and eight appearances for Barnsley he moved on to Notts County in July 1999 where he made a furhter 27 first team appearances before ending his full time career in May 2000.
Clayton also won 39 full International caps for Wales.  Left Bangor as manager and player on 4th November 2006 after a Welsh Cup defeat at Porthmadog.

Steve Bleasdale
Within a fortnight of Clayton Blackmore leaving the new manager win in place.  Steve Bleasdale took over with an emphatic 4-0 thrashing of full timers Llanelli at Farrar Road on 18th November 2006. He quickly appointed Brett Harris as his assistant and brought in a raft of players including Steve Wynne, Mark Smyth and Marco Adaggio.

Liverpool born Steve Bleasdale had worked as a coach and assistant manager alongside Mark Wright at a number of clubs including Southport and Chester City before taking up a similar post alongside the former England centreback at Peterborough. After the departure of Wright this led to a four month period as manager of the club.
Steve also managed Leigh RMI and is an A Badge UEFA coach.

Departed at the end of the 2006-07 season citing travelling difficulties as his primary concern.

Nev Powell
No sooner had Bleasdale gone than Chairman Ken Jones set to work, and set his sights on former blues midfielder Neville Powell.  After nine years in charge of Connahs Quay he might take some shifting, but Jones can be very persuasive and Nev Powell was the new man in charge on 9th May 2007.
His assistant was Alan Morgan but he left in November 2009 to be replaced by Marc Limbert who has proved a very able lieutenant.

Nev Powell had joined Tranmere Rovers as an apprentice and made some ninety first team appearances for Rovers before joining Bangor City as a player in 1984 as John Mahoney looked to rebuild the FA Trophy Final side which broke up as the club were relegated to the NPL.
Powell played in Europe in 1985, was pivotal in the side which so nearly won the NPL in 1989 and made thirty WP appearances for City before joining Connahs Quay as player and then manager where he reigned for nine seasons until the switch to Farrar Road. In his first three seasons Nev Powell guided Bangor to Welsh Cup wins and European qualification. In his fourth, 2010-11, he went one better with a WP championship win which broke a fifteen year barren spell and with it a return to Champions League action.